Bladder Issues

Trisha
on 3/28/05 8:28 am - Glendale, AZ
Okay, I contemplated posting this to the board, but maybe there is someone out there this can help or that can help me. Since yesterday (Sunday) my bladder is not emptying properly. Like a drop or two comes out and I KNOW there is more in there. I didn't worry about it too much yesterday, thought maybe I had too much sodium or something, but I've been drinking water and water and water for past 24 hours and same thing - drop, drop. So I have a call into the surgeon to see what I should do. Not sure if he can prescribe me something or if I need to go to ER. I feel okay otherwise. Just am freaking out about this bladder thing. This is not normal. Has this happened to anyone out there? Any advice? I'll post a reply to this when dr calls back or if something changes. If you believe in prayer, please pray! Thanks!
Laura B.
on 3/28/05 9:10 am - Gilbert, AZ
You said earlier today that you weren't feeling too well, maybe you have a bladder/kidney infection or a kidney stone. While I was pregnant with Megan I had the same thing happen to me. After awhile I couldn't peepee at all and the only time I was comfortable was sitting on the toilet. Then the back pain started so they took me to the hospital, inserted a cat. and when they pulled it out it was bloody and I did pass a kidney stone. They started me on antibiotics and all was well. Is your back or sides hurting? Are you running a temperature? I was going to ask about cranberry juice but I think the sugar content may be too high??? Has the doc called yet? Please keep us posted! Laura B.
Stephanie J.
on 3/28/05 10:24 am - Tucson, AZ
Yep. Check with your doctor. It's probably a pretty easy diagnosis. And don't worry about talking about body functions. That's what the first couple of months after surgery IS! I've been very frank about talking about my ten years of incontinence here too. If you don't talk about it, others won't know that they're not the only ones. - Stephanie J
Laura B.
on 3/28/05 10:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
Just checking to see how you are doing. Feeling any better? Laura
Terri M.
on 3/28/05 12:35 pm - Pinedale, AZ
Trisha, I get bladder infections a lot. at lease I did before surgery. It sounds like it is a infection but call your dr.! Right after my surgery I couldn't pee. I went 20 hours with not even a drop. They had to cath me and man did I fill up that bag. Haven't had a problem since tho. My surgery was scheduled for Nov 17 first but when I went in for the pre op test I had a bladder infection and they had to put me on major heavy drugs to get rid of it. 2 days later I had surgery. Infection free!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted. Terri
Trisha
on 3/28/05 8:00 pm - Glendale, AZ
Dr. Fang called back and said that my bladder has no relation to surgery so it's not WLS related, but sounds pretty serious. He said I needed to go to ER and have them put a catheder in me and if nothing happens I could have kidney failure. I'm like, Dr. Fang, if I had kidney failure, wouldn't I be in pain or have a fever or be weak or something and he said yeah and that I sounded good on the phone so he doubts it's kidney failure. He's so low key, calm and blunt. LOL The last thing I need to hear is "kidney failure". That's how Shelby in "Steel Magnolias" died. Anyway, I go to ER and they put a catheder in and only a few drops came out. They even tried pushing on my bladder/stomach and bending my leg, sitting me up, laying me down. Bladder was empty. Dr. ran some blood tests just to make sure my kidneys were okay and they were, but I had *critically low* potassium levels. OMG! Low potassium could result in stroke or heart attack! So they gave me a UTI/antibiotic and massive potassium pills in hospital and then he prescribed me meds. I'm to follow up with my PCP on Thursday. What an ordeal. And on top of that, I gave myself an enema today because I hadn't had a BM in a couple of days and ALSO took some Milk of Magnesia. OMG. The ENTIRE time I was in ER waiting room (5 hrs) I was in and out of the bathroom with M.O.M. effects. LOL Still having issues. Ugh!! Why did I do the enema AND M.O.M??? LOL Both are VERY effective. Anyway, I'm fine and doing well. I'm alive and prognosis is good. I didn't even think about it being a UTI (urinary tract infection).
Laura B.
on 3/29/05 12:13 am - Gilbert, AZ
I am so glad that you went to the ER and I'm very happy that this is something that is treatable. Take care of yourself and get some rest today. Laura
Most Active