I have sleep apnea...

sandust1
on 3/28/05 2:52 am - Glendale, AZ
I was denied surgery because I had a BMI of 39.5. and at that time I did not have any comorbidities. I went to see my PCP and she had some test done. It turns out I have sleep apnea and my BMI is 40.6. I sent my PCP's letter of predetermination to my surgeons office on friday. I called them this morning and they said they would send the appeal letter to my insurance sometime today! Yeh! I sure hope this works!
Terri M.
on 3/28/05 7:37 am - Pinedale, AZ
Sandy, Keep fighting with your insurance co. I know many people who had to fight for this but they eventually won the battle. Don't take no for an answer! I was one of the lucky ones and I was approved the first time. I have Medicare. Fight girl fight!!!! Keep your chin up and I will say an extra prayer for you! Terri
sandust1
on 3/28/05 12:12 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thanks Terri I appreciate your prayers.
Trisha
on 3/28/05 8:32 am - Glendale, AZ
Yay!!!! I feel weird CONGRATULATING you on a co-morbidity, but that's what it takes for insurances to approve you. I hope you get approved SOON!!! Yay!! Call your PCP or insurance office tomorrow to CONFIRM this has been done and that your insurance has RECEIVED it. Once they approve it, are you going to go ahead and stick with Schlesinger or go to Blackstone? Both are VERY good. Keep me (us) posted!!
sandust1
on 3/28/05 12:20 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thanks Trisha, I call the insurance company tomorrow.
Laura B.
on 3/28/05 9:23 am - Gilbert, AZ
Cool but sad. Things always happen for a reason. How was your sleep study, I read about the sleep apnea, do you have to get one of those machines? I get to fax over my final clearance to my surgeon's office tomorrow. I sure hope to find out this week if my insurance will approve my request. Don't see why they wouldn't but heck, ya never know! Keep us posted Laura B.
sandust1
on 3/28/05 12:17 pm - Glendale, AZ
Hi Laura, the sleep apnea is not severe enough for a cpap machine, which is a good thing. I don't think I could sleep with one of those things on anyways. I'd like to find out if my insurance will approve me this week, also. I know what ya mean! You keep us posted, also! Thanks, Sandy P
cynthia E.
on 3/29/05 3:41 am - buckeye, AZ
Sandy; I myself had Sleep apnea before surgery. Since my surgery my oxygen level has not dropped below 90. So I have not had to use my Cpap. What I wanted to tell you is that the doctors told me to sleep with 2 pillows. Sleeping elevated could possibly help you breath normally and not close your throat. I am now today 4 months post op and I am a believer. I hope your insurance company will approve you now. Sounds like you are ready for this change. Best of luck, Cynthia
sandust1
on 3/30/05 7:50 am - Glendale, AZ
Oh...yes...I am sooooo...ready... I do sleep with a bunch of pillows. Thanks for the advise, God Bless, Sandy
Do-over Girl
on 3/29/05 2:23 pm - Tempe, AZ
I have been using a cpap machine for about 3-4 yrs now...my family had always made fun of my loud snoring and I never felt rested no matter how much sleep I got. I also have a deviated septum in my nose. So imagine my surprise when my PCP suggested a sleep study and I failed miserably. It was ackward trying to sleep in a clinical setting and attached to machines. But despite that...once I fell asleep with the cpap machine I was amazed how alert and awake I felt on only about 3 hours of deep sleep during the sleep study!! It took me awhile to find a mask I could use...for me the nasal pillows were what finally worked for me. I developed sores and numbness from the original two masks...and it took awhile (my niece called it my GONZO --from Sesame Street mask!) but once I got the nasal pillows; I can't even take a nap without using the machine. I was amazed how much of a difference getting adequate sleep makes!! The noise is like a "white noise" for me. I am hoping though to sleep without a cpap machine at some point post-surgery. I am self-conscious about sleeping with anyone else in my bed (like a b/f) with the machine...since I don't fiind it to be an attractive look....but then again stopping breathing and heavy duty snoring isn't that attractive either? wink.
Most Active