Seeking info on takedown surgery

Christine In AZ
on 3/17/05 11:14 am - Way Down South in AZ
I am having some complications from the surgery that are now starting to truly diminish the quality of my life. I have developed hypoglycemia, which has been attributed to the surgery by my endocrinologist. I am feeling exhausted all the time, and have to check my blood sugars constantly. It is not rare for them to drop into the 30's. This happens no matter what I eat, not if I just have sugar or high carbs (though it is worse then). There are times in the middle of the day when I literally fall asleep doing something. I am afraid to drive. I want to reverse the RNY so my digestive system will be normal again. Does anyone have any info on where/how to begin this process? I don't think the surgeon who did my RNY does takedowns, but I haven't checked into it. My insurance covered the RNY, so I suppose they'll cover the takedown. What do you all think? Thanks in advance, Christine
Stephanie J.
on 3/17/05 3:24 pm - Tucson, AZ
I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant about what you're asking about and therefor couldn't help you one iota. But your problem, nevertheless, sounds very interesting. I've never even heard of "takedown surgery". Can you tell us what it entails? Are you also underweight at this point or would that even have anything to do with it? Please keep us updated on what goes on with you and what measures you find to help. Good luck.- Stephanie J
Christine In AZ
on 3/17/05 3:30 pm - Way Down South in AZ
Stephanie, Takedown surgery is also known as a reversal surgery. Many doctors do not perform the surgery. I am at goal weight, not underweight. It is the hypoglycemia that is seriously interfering with my quality of life the past few months. Thanks for the well wishes.....
Stephanie J.
on 3/18/05 1:53 pm - Tucson, AZ
Christine, Can you tell me what the symptoms of hypoglycemia are? I'm actually wondering if I may have it too. I've lost my weight very quickly (from 290 to 148 in 11 months), and I think part of the reason is that food consumption still tends to make me miserable. I've thought what I was experiencing was dumping, but I don't get a lot of the classic dumping symptoms like heart palpitations or sweating. It's kind of the opposite. I get more coldness in the extremities and shakiness. I have to take it real easy for a half an hour or so until the feeling goes away. But it definitely feels a lot like when I would bottom out on sugar when i had diabetes during my pregnancies. If you don't mind my asking, in what way does the hypogycemia affect you? - Stephanie J
Stephanie J.
on 3/18/05 1:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
Oh, and also, when did it start affecting you? - Stephanie J
Christine In AZ
on 3/23/05 5:11 am - Way Down South in AZ
Stephanie, I have pretty much the symptoms you describe. Coldness, shakiness, nervousness. I also feel like I'm losing IQ points. I don't feel as mentally alert, and this feeling has been getting worse with time. My coordination is now affected as well. The immediate symptoms are the shakiness, etc. But longterm, it gets much much worse. I can't actually pinpoint when it all started, but I would guess about 12-18 months out. Sorry it took so long to respond, we were at Parker Canyon Lake for a week.
cynthia E.
on 3/18/05 4:09 am - buckeye, AZ
Christine; Sorry to hear of your condition. I have herd that there is a surgeon in Dallas Texas that does the reversals. Maybe if you check out the link to the Texas people they might be able to help. Hope you feel better soon. Cyn
Most Active