Blood pressure and sugars?????

Susan H.
on 3/17/05 9:47 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi, I was wondering from all of the post op patients who had diabetics and high blood pressure how long did it take to get your sugars and blood pressure down where they should be? My surgery was 2/7 and yes my sugars are way down but still high and the blood pressure is about the same. I am down 32 lbs since mt surgery and lost 1 dress size feeling pretty good.
cynthia E.
on 3/18/05 4:13 am - buckeye, AZ
HI Susan; I am now 3.5 months post op. My diabetes was gone when I left the hospital. It was 90 when I left the hospital and today is around 86. My blood preasure went down around the 3rd week. The doctor said the blood preasure takes alittle longer due to the fact that they have messed around with vital organs. You are doing great! I hope this helps. Cyn
Stephanie J.
on 3/18/05 2:07 pm - Tucson, AZ
You'll see major differences in many ills, and some that you didn't even know were connected with the obesity, within months. People seldom discuss this one out of embarrassment, but I was completely incontinent for ten years after my second childbirth - to the point where I had to wear an internal device to hold my bladder wall up - and still leaked! By three months after surgery, I took the device (called a pesary), out and haven't dripped a drop ever since. But back to the subject at hand, as well as I remember, my blood pressure also went down and leveled out just a couple of months after the surgery. - Stephanie J
Arizona_Sun
on 3/18/05 10:30 pm - Gilbert, AZ
On my recent labs at 14 months out I had my first normal A1c of 5.9. My blood pressure was about 4 or 5 months post-op before it came down and that was after I discovered I had a magnesium deficiency and was getting injections (plus doing orals that I continue to this date). I have heard of others who have faster results so it just depends on the body. Sandy
cindy
on 3/19/05 1:16 pm - Mesa, az
I had both diabetes using 100cc of insulin daily, and I had high blood pressure and was taking medication. I have not taken my blood pressure meds since the day before my WLS, and the last time I took insulin was the day after I got home from the hospital. I am now 19 months post-op and my A1C stays right at 6.0, and recently I had my TT, and my blood pressure kept dropping so low I passed out several times. But, everyone is different, give it time to adjust, just keep a good watch on both. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 -182 lbs BR 8-4-04 TT 2-7-05
Cat P.
on 3/21/05 8:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
Susan, I was on 165 units of lantus and 30-40 of novolog a day before surgary (12/28) I still take about 24 units of lantus and 10 of novolog a day and my last AIC was 7.6, both my diabetecs doctor and my GP agree I am not ready to give us insulin yet. I'm also on blood pressure medication, although I cut on in half and my blood pressure is 120/80, so I guess I'm stuck with that for a while also. Maybe it's my age, 57, or ?? I'm down 42 lbs so far.
Most Active