Back home from surgery

Trisha
on 3/10/05 4:20 pm - Glendale, AZ
Well my angel was supposed to post on here my progress in hospital the last couple days, but she posted to the wrong boards. LOL So here I am, posting my update. I went in for surgery on Tuesday, 3/8 at 11:00am. I was discharged from hospital Thursday at 1pm. My surgeon was Dr. Fang at St. Luke's and he's the best!! Nurses at St. Luke's were AWESOME! I had read mixed reviews on this site on them, but I'll post some positive ones now because they treated me very very well. One thing I did not expect while in the hospital was bonding with other patients as we walked the floor. Most of the floor are gastric bypass patients and as our eyes met we are both like "gbs, huh" "who's your surgeon" "oh mine was..." And we ask how each other is doing and then continue our walks. Nurses and doctors were very surprised at my recovery. I felt pretty okay most of the time, and I only hurt when I got up and down from bed or the toilet. But I used a pillow to hold against my abs as told to do before going to hospital. So that helped a lot. One thing I didn't expect was for my urine to be green post-op. They used a blue dye for leak test during surgery, so for the next 24 hours or so, my urine was green. So if that happens to you, don't freak out. Anyway, since I've been home, I've mainly slept or gone to the bathroom. Stomach has been rumbling most of day due to gas/diarreah. Oh joy. But that will pass soon enough. All in all I feel good. I had no regrets or depression after surgery. I was a pro-active patient, walked often, used my spirometer often and kept my oxygen on my nose often. Being proactive in recovery is the MAIN thing to healing. I also had a positive attitude. Also, I had my own room!! It was great because mom got to stay over both nights. She didn't have to, but she wanted too. I was glad she did though because when getting up in middle of night to go to bathroom or walk, I needed help putting railing down and taking those air booties on and off. Nurses helped as well whenever I needed them too. It wasnt' until about 2 hours before I left yesterday that another patient came in there. So I lucked out. No roommate issues or anything. Although the other patients I met on floor and oroommates were all pleasant and nice enough. The nurses I had while I was at St. Luke's and loved were Bernadette, Patricia, Lynn, Liz and I forgot the other one's name. All had good senses of humor, made me feel good about myself and really encouraged me on my progress. Anyway, I'm back home now and surgery was a success!! Yay! Thanks for your prayers and support!! I appreciate it!
Laura B.
on 3/11/05 12:13 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Way to go Trisha!! You have to be feeling pretty good about everything. You don't know how much it means to us that haven't had the surgery yet to hear your experience. I am seeing Dr. Fang myself and I think he's one smart whipper snapper. Their office has been really good to me too, very prompt on returning phone calls. I've already been approved by Dr. Maxwell, what a terrific lady. I can't wait to have my surgery. I am very happy for you!!!!!!! Please keep posting Laura
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/05 12:50 pm - Chandler, AZ
Welcome back Trisha. I too had Dr. Fang and think he is fantastic. I am so glad you had a good experience with the nurses at St. Lukes. Mine was quite different but I am sure it all depends on who you get and when. Your on the losing side now and in for a very exciting adventure that gets better every day. Hugs, Sandyd
oldpolly1
on 3/11/05 11:45 pm - Gold Canyon, AZ
Hi Trisha! I just realized that you have gone above and beyond to help me out with my insurance questions when you just had your surgery a few days ago! WOW! Thanks again for all of the really helpful advice. Good luck with your recovery, I'll be following! Bonnie
teddybearlve
on 3/12/05 7:04 am - Az
Hey Trish, Congratulations on your surgery!!! You will soon be smiling alot and feeling good. Glad you had a good stay at St. Lukes I had a horrible time maybe they had some changes for the better since I was there. The gas will pass soon but never heard of the green urine. Make sure you keep your walking Talk to you soon, Jill
Most Active