Consult with Dr. Juarez

Trisha
on 11/23/04 12:54 pm - Glendale, AZ
Well, I had my consult with Dr. Juarez yesterday. I am not sure why I was so worked up and excited about appointment. My appointment with Dr. Juarez was the most uneventful medical appointment in my life. I guess I was expecting rockets to go off or something, but it was just a regular appointment. First of all, I get there and I'm the biggest one in the waiting room. The others there looked totally post-op. I'm like "guess who the pre-op one is in here". LOL I checked in all fine. No problems there. But when the nurse called me back, she said they were out of rooms and I would be right back out. She was just going to take my vitals. So we go in that little room where she does the vitals and I see just a regular dr's scale there. A regular doctor's scale only goes up to 350 lbs . I'm at 370 right now. (Disgusting) So I tell her that I am over 350 and she said okay, how much do you weigh. So I told her. She took my blood pressure which was normal, and she took my temp. However she pulled the thermometer out of my mouth about 30 seconds before it beeped that it was done. I'm like what's the rush? I asked her what they do for patients that are over 350 or 400 lbs since they can't weigh in on a regular doctor's scale. She said they had a wheelchair-scale on 6th floor. But dr's office was on 5th floor. So what, they go in there, realize they can't use scale, then go through waiting room, down hallway, up elevator, down hallway to the other scale? That seems like a hassle. Plus, isn't the MAJORITY of Dr. Juarez patients obese and morbidly obese? You'd think they'd have equipment there to use for larger patients. So if you weigh over 350 lbs and are going to Dr. Juarez' s office, just know that you will not be able to weigh in at appointment. Anyway, so I go back to waiting room then about 5 mins later I get called back to room. This HUNK of a resident comes in to ask my medical conditions, medical conditions in family, listen to my heart, etc. He was GORGEOUS. Kind of like a Brad Pitt except taller and musclar. I'm like my gosh he is hot!!! Anyway, then 2 mins later Dr. Juarez comes in with the Resident "Brad Pitt" and basically asks me if I have any questions. I had already been to the seminar and Class "A" so was familiar with procedure/surgery, so I just asked some questions. (See profile for list of questions and answers.) Then that was it. He basically said that if I don't hear from them within 3 weeks to call them and check up. He said it could take up to 6 weeks or so to find out if I've been approved . That seems like FOREVER! I had all my records, documentation and everything there with me and I gave it to him, so hopefully that speeds up the process! At least I have the consult overwith and now it's just the waiting game while I wait to see if I've been approved or not.
Stephanie J.
on 11/23/04 1:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
Just be glad you got in quickly. I've had to wait up to a couple of hours in order to get in a room before. Juarez has a really personable surgical assistant. Can't think of his name right now.... Usually you'll get a reply pretty quickly on your insurance if your stuff is in order. A couple or three weeks. They just tell you "up to six" so that you're not disappointed if it gets stuck in some unusual beurocracy. Do call and bug them if it takes more than 3 weeks. Good Luck. - Stephanie J
Randi D.
on 11/24/04 1:22 am - Peoria, AZ
Dr. Juarez's PA is named Emil. He is a very nice man. Randi
Eileen L.
on 11/29/04 12:27 pm - Gilbert, AZ
That's as far as I got with Dr. Juarez. My husband and I both came out of his office totally unimpressed! The problem is that it is the ONLY place a lot of people can go with their insurance. I have heard that Juarez is a very competent surgeon, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired, and with this type of surgery, I believe that people need someone who can show compassion and can put them at ease. At least I needed that. I waited in his waiting room for nearly two hours, and then 45 minutes in the exam room. He came in, slouched down in a chair, asked if I had any questions, yawned a couple of times, and left. So did I. Then I found Dr. Robin Blackstone and Scottsdale Bariatric. What a difference! Everybody in there is so caring and compassionate, and Dr. B. looked me right in the eyes and told me she would take care of me. And I believe her! My surgery is scheduled for January 11th...I can't wait! Good luck with yours! Eileen
Trisha
on 11/29/04 2:04 pm - Glendale, AZ
When it comes to surgeries, bedside matter doesn't matter to me. I'd rather he be excellent in surgery and so-so on bedside manner. Surgeon's aren't known for their bubbling-personalities! LOL I think the God-Complex takes over that part of the brain or something. Anyway, my insurance doesn't cover Robin Blackstone, unfortunately, I tried! So Juarez it is. It's been a week since my consult. I plan to call them Thursday to see how everything is going. They said to wait 3 weeks, but I can't wait that long!
Most Active