Psych Evals?

Ray H.
on 11/7/04 1:40 am - Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know who to go to for psych evals for the pre-approval? Also what they might cost? Will they know what's needed by the insurance companies or do I need to tell them what tests and such? Thanks, Ray
buggirl32774
on 11/7/04 2:06 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Ray: Here in Tucson the Doc's sent a packet that had a list of Psychologist to go see. I was lucky my insurance cover 80 percent of it. The cost for me was like 42.00. Hope that helps. Be prepared to take a 500 plus test Kim
Lucy28
on 11/7/04 10:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
You need to find someone who is a Phd. My surgeon and insurance wanted a MMPI 2 test which is this 540+ question test. In my 2 year battle I had to have 2 done. One each year because they wanted an updates one. Expect to pay from $200-300. Hopes this helps.
Kathy P.
on 11/7/04 10:15 pm - AZ
Here is the dr we used normally our insurance does not cover this at all. He feeled out the paper work for us in a way that we had to pay nothing. He was very nice and it was very simple. Quigley, Patrick A PhD , Psychology, Adult, Adolescent and Child 4350 E Ray Rd Ste 111, Phoenix (480) 759-6191 Good luck Kathy
Trisha
on 11/23/04 12:59 pm - Glendale, AZ
I went to Barbara Maxwell at St. Luke's. She was awesome. My surgeon referred me to her. I had to take like two fill-in-the-circle tests equalling about 800 questions regarding my personality and tendencies. I loved it! LOL Then the next week I met with her and it was a great appointment, and she gave me thumbs up for surgery. You can ask your GBS surgeon for referrals to pre-op psychologists. That way you go to one that is PRO-WLS. In fact, Dr. Maxwell has Obesity Help magazines in her waiting room. That was great to see. I would recommend going to a psychologist that has worked with patients pre-op WLS and is familiar with the procedures, etc. Try looking one up on here - they have databases of all sorts of doctors, nutritionists and even psychologists. See if one is near you and accepts your insurance. I have Aetna and my co-pay was only $20 for both visits (testing and consult). The actual cash price though for psych testing and consult with Dr. Maxwell in Phoenix, AZ is $815. Yowser! Hope this helps!
Most Active