Lbs. you can lift

Rosalie S.
on 11/2/04 12:52 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I'm 5 weeks post-op. My daughter has to be bed ridden for about 2 weeks and needs me to help her. She has a disabled child that weighs about 27 lbs. that needs to be lifted and carried about throughout the day. Does anybody know if this is something I can do. So far, I have had no complications and have lost 30 lbs. Not seeing my surgeon for another week. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Daughter is upset that I am not going to be much help. Nobody else to help.
joyful516
on 11/3/04 3:28 am - Gilbert, AZ
Ask your doc! My doctor said nothing greater than 20 lbs till 6 weeks out, I was not even to vacuum. Your daughter has to follow doctors orders just as you do. If you cannot do it then she will have to find someone else. I should think she would care about your health as well. If she needs the help the insurance should provide medical assistance for her since she does not have have anyone available.
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/04 7:02 am - CA
Definitely check with your surgeon. I had open RNY and my limit was 5 lbs for a number of weeks afterwards. Hope your daughter feels better soon. Mary
Stephanie J.
on 11/3/04 10:13 am - Tucson, AZ
DON'T DO IT!! You need to be taken care of right now, not be taking care of others. It is very easy to herniate yourself or hurt yourself internally during the first couple of months after surgery and wind up with even more health problems. Use your energies to find someone else to take care of your daughter instead of risking your own health to do it! - Stephanie J
Most Active