OT: Moving to Arizona --------->

Michele M.
on 10/29/04 11:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Husband and I have decided to move to Arizona to be closer to his family. We are planning on moving to the Goodyear area. I was wondering if any of you could help fill me in on what to expect moving there? I'm an east coast girl, PA, MD, and now FL, I have no idea what life is like out west. I've been for a visit a few years ago, but it was brief. We want to rent a home or apartment, and need somewhere that will accept our babies (3 cats) so any leads on cool landlords would also be appreciated. And last, but certainly not least, are there support groups nearby the Goodyear/West Phoenix Valley area? And I'm sure my surgeon will want me to be followed up by someone, any recommendations? Thank you for any and all responses =) Michele minus 55lbs
Kathy P.
on 10/30/04 1:51 am - AZ
Dr. Juarez is a good surgeon he is out of Phoenix St Lukes. He did my surgery back in July and I have been very pleased with him. I know that hospitial has a support group. Im in the east valley so Im not quite sure what is there as far as support groups. I do have a friend who was recently looking for an apt and they where running about 750 for a 2 bedroom. Good luck on your move to az Kathy
Michele M.
on 11/13/04 11:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Thanks Kathy =) Is Phoenix St Lukes part of the Mayo Health Clinic? I ask because St Lukes of Jacksonville Florida is where I had my surgery. Just wondering if they were all part of the same system. Michele
tres35cowgirl8
on 10/30/04 1:52 am - * _ *, AZ
First off Good luck on your move! Welcome to the desert. It's hot here but it's a dry heat! Goodyear is a nice area I use to work on alot of homes out that way. It is getting expensive to live here, Az is growing alot. But pay is also good. If you look thru the message boards you can find messages on support groups thru out Az. I am 44 days from surgery and there are lots of Dr's here most will be in Phx and mesa Sorry I am not of more help. But good luck on your move. you can try the Arizona Republic news paper think it is arizonarepublic.com just add the www. should be able to find houses for rent, jobs ect. Good luck Teresa
Michele M.
on 11/13/04 11:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Thank you Teresa =) We found a nice little house in Buckeye, and we will be in Arizona in 6 weeks =) Michele
saffire
on 10/30/04 2:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi there Michele! I'm originally from Philly, been here in Phx for about 7 1/2 yrs (wow, has it been that long? LOL). Phoenix is definitely a whole different type of culture than East Coast living. Not bad, not good, just different. A lot less people here, even with the major population boom. Overall, most people seem more outgoing here (I've noticed we East Coasters sometimes tend to be on guard ). I'd have to agree with Teresa - azcentral.com is the best way to go. The newspaper does a Rentals section every Saturday & Sunday, and these listings are also on the website; you can look them up by area, as well as rental type (apts., condos/townhomes, residential, etc.). Don't know about the support groups in the West Valley, since mine is right in central Phoenix. But I'm sure the surgeons' offices can help with that. Any other questions, feel free to e-mail me. Good luck with the move! Angie S. 400/303/???
Michele M.
on 11/13/04 11:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Wow Angie! Philly huh? I was born and raised in Lancaster, and my very first apartment ever was in Philly =) I sure do know what you mean about the eastcoasters being on guard. We must be more jaded and cynical in that area of the country. I've found the people here in Florida are much friendlier than up north. We found a nice little house in Buckeye, and we'll be in Arizona in 6 weeks. I wonder how much weight I will lose packing all this stuff up?! Thanks for the reply, think of me while I'm driving 2200 miles with three wailing cats in the backseat! Michele
joyful516
on 11/2/04 5:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
Well of course, I would recommend my surgeon Dr. Newhoff, he has been doing the surgery the longest of all the surgeons in the Phoenix area. He is in Phoenix which is not bad from from the Goodyear area. I also can help in the area of rentals, I work in the real estate arena. I might reccomend www.rentalhotsheets.com Also I know of several property management agents that will be glad to help you if you need that. Just let me know and I will give you names and numbers. Best Wishes -- Joy
Michele M.
on 11/13/04 10:52 am - Phoenix, AZ
RNY on 07/21/04 with
Thanks Joy, I appreciate your help =) We will be in Arizona in 6 weeks, hard to believe! Michele
suzcar51
on 11/2/04 7:00 am - Somewhere in, AZ
Michele, I live in Litchfield Park - It's Goodyear/Avondale/Litchfield Park Kinda a tricity affect. As far as apartments go. I use to live at the Rancho Santa Fe Apts. in Avondale. It's next to Walmart. It's grown up quite a bit since I lived there. Was one of the first residents when they opened and the streets still were not paved. My recommendation is not to rent or live south of I 10 in this area. South of I -10 is the older, kind of run down part of the area. While still nice - north is better. As far as support groups out in the West end of town - virtually none. There was one I went to but wasn't impressed. I'm also 18+ mo. Postop. My surgeon - Robin Blackstone - is in Scottsdale. They have support group, but at this phase I've kinda stopped going. Who you go to for post op support is kinda dependent on your insurance. Blackstone only takes Cigna. Juarez, Simpson take all insurance groups as far as I am aware of. Can't say enough good things about Arizona - I'm a native. While I have lived other places - Conn. Wash. Calif. I always "come back home" Good luck on your move. You will enjoy living the the Valley of the Sun Suzanne 4/13/03 363/200/150
Most Active