what Test do Dr Zahn do before surgery?

tres35cowgirl8
on 10/16/04 3:26 am - * _ *, AZ
I have surgery In 57 days and was wondering what test Dr Zahn will have me do before surgery? Thanks Teresa
Shannon R.
on 10/16/04 6:05 pm - phoenix, az
Hi Teresa! I am scheduled with Dr. Z on the 26th of this month. I had my tests on Oct. 4th and it took all day. 1. they will have you fill out tons of paper work to pre-admit you, then go over the spirometer - which you use post-op to prevent pneumonia. they also go over any complications that could arise, make sure you know what you need to do to prepare for surgery the days preceding. And to explain your hospital stay. 2. Blood test, cool because they only stick you once and just take what they need rather than making you wait until they fill all the tubes. They got it on the first try too, which is rare for me. 3. Urine sample 4. 3rd floor - ultrasound of your legs to check for any bloodclots 5. EKG - easy easy easy 6. O2 level test - you simply stick your finger in a clamp and 2 seconds later they can tell how much O2 comes in and out of your body. 7. 2nd floor - abdominal ultrasound 8. chest x-ray and upper gi series. you stand and take a few x-rays of chest, then put gas chrystals in your mouth while swallowing the barium drink, then you feel REALLY full and like you need to burp really bad. then you have to lay down on the x-ray bed and get in really wierd positions while they take pictures. then wait for the doc to come in, while laying on stomach, drink some more thru a straw while he watches it go down. Everyone is really nice there. Just be prepared to be there all day just in case. My friend Julie was out in a few hours, I was out after 7.....so it differs....... Good luck and keep us posted! Shannon
tres35cowgirl8
on 10/17/04 3:27 am - * _ *, AZ
Hi Shannon, Thanks for replying. Where you nervous when you did the test? or worried they find something? I am getting nervous about it. I have all these little pains and wonder if it's something that could stop the surgery. My mind wonders LOL. I remember seeing you on here about the same time I started coming to obesityhelp back in dec 2002. I am mostly a looker. Good luck on your surgery and I hope everything goes well. I don't post much but hope you have a great out come! Teresa
Shannon R.
on 10/18/04 2:11 pm - phoenix, az
Theresa, You are welcome. I was very very nervous. I thought I had a bladder infection before hand too and started cipro to get rid of anything I may have. Also, I was making everyone stay away from me even if they LOOKED like they didn't feel good. I still do that! The funny thing was that I wasn't nervous when I was actually taking the tests. kind of wierd. They were all so nice and totally made me feel secure and more confident in the whole thing. I was VERY nervous a few weeks before. Right when I got my packet in the mail I freaked. I couldn't eat, sleep, felt like vomiting all the time. That's over with now and was over before my tests. you will be amazed at how good they treat you there, at least for the tests. I am STILL worried that something will be wrong with my tests but I guess no news is good news. i asked and they told me that they would contact me if there was anything wrong and they haven't yet and my tests were taken two weeks ago. My teaching day is tomorrow morning. I am really excited about that! Good luck and keep us all posted as to what you are up to! Shannon
dbackers
on 10/17/04 2:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I just wanted to drop you a note and tell you not to worry! Dr. Zahn was my surgeon, and those tests are more time consuming than anything! Just relax and you will be fine. They are very easy as well. I am one month post op and am doing great! One thing I can say though, is make sure you drink plenty of fluids and get your protein!!! It makes a world of difference! I have lost 30 pounds in 30 days and am a little tired but have healed well and am on my way down!! Best of luck to you!!!
tres35cowgirl8
on 10/17/04 2:40 pm - * _ *, AZ
Thanks for replying, I was wondering what Protien you are taking? I called Dr. Zahns office Friday and asked about my packet they said would be mailed a week or two before surgery. I think it was Shannon who said she had to do a liquid diet 2 weeks prior? And do you need to start the protien before hand? sorry I haven't asked much about this stuff. waiting for my count down Thanks Again Teresa
dbackers
on 10/18/04 6:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey! I am drinking Champion brand, Vanilla and banana. I also drink Nectar brand - Carribean Cooler. I also hear the fuzzy navel by Nectar is also really good. I am very picky, so for me to find any I like was a challange. Best to try samples first. Nutrition Warehouse in the Phoenix area has great deals and they have 2 serving packets you can buy to see if you like them. You will get their info when you come in for your Nutrition Seminar the week or so before your surgery. Or if you live close, get some now, then whichever one you like, you can buy in bulk. I started my protein about a week before. Just one drink a day. Dr. Zahn only has you on liquids the day before your surgery. The packet details everything. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids!!! There is a nutrition warehoue on 67th Ave and Olive, they give bypass patients a 10% discount. And they are by far the cheapest! Good luck! Ask me any questions you'd like, i would be glad to answer them!!!
tres35cowgirl8
on 10/18/04 7:26 am - * _ *, AZ
Thanks Kim, I forgot about the nutrition Seminar Duh! Thanks for the info I will check it out guess I need to start trying stuff. I have heard taste buds change after surgery. Right now I hate yougart so I am worried about finding foods to eat. I have quit all the chips and stuff. I lost 35 lbs last 4 months. So I think I am on the way. I still have two more habits to quit in nov. I would love to be able to ask you some questions if they come up thanks Teresa
Shannon R.
on 10/18/04 2:15 pm - phoenix, az
Dr. Zahn had changed his rules. The first packet I got said only the day prior. but when I went to get my tests, they had a paper posted and gave me one saying we now have to do it 2 weeks prior. It's a new thing that his new partner did at his old practice, to shrink your liver. I was very surprised about having to do it but it has really helped. Not only physically but mentally as well, I have already started dealing with some food issues that I would have had to deal with later post op when I am dealing with everything else. So be asured, you will have to do the protein drink diet 2 weeks prior. sorry for the bad news..... Shannon
tres35cowgirl8
on 10/18/04 5:10 pm - * _ *, AZ
I thought It was you that said that I think it was last week when I read your Profile. I don't know if you know Corey Posted on he's profile. Think he had some complications but is ok now. I don't have my profile avalible I am ashamed about some of it but wount erase it till after surgery if I don't like it but I want to wait and see what babbling I did prior. Last few months I up date every week and my mind is getting clearer. I was in a very depressed state last yr and am trying to deal with my feelings from the past. so that I can change my feelings about food instead eating to live and not to hide thanks for writting me I quit writting awhile back I wasn't in a good place then. thanks again By the way what are you using for protien I looked at walmart and desided I dint know what I was looking for LOL
Most Active