Question about Prior to Surgery

joyful516
on 9/13/04 4:33 am - Gilbert, AZ
I have Dr Newhoff. What do they have you do the night before or the day before sugery? (no drinking, eating, etc) I go for my pre-op appointment on Thursday but I would like to know, anyone have any idea what I am planning for.
Tanya T.
on 9/14/04 2:26 am - mesa, az
Joy, it depends on the surgeon. I had to be on clear fluids the day before and do a bowl prep and could not have anything to eat or drink past a certain time. Your surgoen will give you all of the vivid details. Good luck, Tanya
Becky Stark
on 9/14/04 5:42 am - Lake Havasu City, AZ
I agree with Tanya, it depends on your surgeon. My surgeon is having me eat only liquids the day before and nothing after midnight. Also I have to do the bowel prep the day before and take two antibiotics the evening/night before. The bowel prep is when you take this stuff and it gives you the runs to clean bacteria out of your intestines/bowels. Then you take the antibiotics to clean out any remaining bacteria. Ooooh fun. My surgery is on Monday and I have invested in a huge tube of Desitin to help my tushie on Sunday. Don't worry, you will do fine. Becky
Deb E.
on 9/14/04 7:36 am - CA
Hi Joy, Just be sure to ask your surgeon for written instructions on what to eat and drink pre-surgery. My surgeon wanted two weeks of a liquid diet followed by two days of clear liquids and nothing to eat after midnight prior to surgery. DebE
Deb E.
on 9/15/04 8:07 am - CA
Hi Joy, Ask your surgeon at the appt. So many surgeons want different things that there is no point in all of us telling you what each of our individual surgeons want. Ask the surgeon-what should I be eating from now until the surgery? Ask the surgeon-am I to be on clear liquids before surgery? When should I stop eating before surgery? Don't worry-your surgeon will tell you! DebE
HarleyGirl
on 9/16/04 1:05 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I haven't been on line in a couple of days so I just came across your post. By now you have had your appt with Dr. Newhoff. He was my surgeon. If you read my profile, you'll see that my husband and I really like him. I would be more than happy to support you and answer any questions anytime. One thing for sure is Dr. N knows his business and doesn't fool around. Once you get by what seems to be dry tone he really is a neat guy and alot of fun. I will tell you that he is serious about walking after surgery. My surgery was early am and by afternoon I was up and at it. Don't be afraid to use your pain med pump, get up and move as much as you can, take sips of water don't let yourself get dehydrated(I brought my own bottles of water to the hospital) . Iam so excited for you, and would like to keep in touch. Maricopa is not that far from Gilbert! E mail me if you would like, and have your husband email after your surgery. God Bless! Paula 330/241/??
baddgurrl
on 9/17/04 8:46 am - Chino Valley, AZ
You will be thrilled to know that Newhoff does not require bowel prep, and just makes you stop eating and drinking at like (can't remember 8 pm or twelve hours before surgery, something like that) but nothing evasive, he explained to me in all his years he has seen no signifigance in doing the bowel prep. WHEW!!!!!!! By the way you have the BEST surgeon for this surgery in my opinion, and you should feel very comfortable that you are in his hands, also he has had the same anesthesiologist for quite a few years, a great team. Just do what they say and you will be great , I know I was. Take Care dearheart and I will be thinking of you on your surgery day. Carol
Most Active