Have questions about Prescott area????

JeannieGoodmon
on 8/16/04 8:55 am - MODESTO, CA
Hi to all, I live in Northern California at present, but my brother & his family plan to open up businesses there, I may possibly follow, my question is what is the cost of living , how are the wages for employment, and last whats the crime rate? Also the name of nearest Hospital & how do you rate it. They also said the surrounding areas Chino Valley, and Prescott Valley what is your views on these areas? thanks....Jeannie
Shannon R.
on 8/16/04 12:30 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Jeannie, My Grandma lived in Prescott for 20 years before she died and it's a really great city. I'd much rather be in Prescott, but Chino Valley and Prescott Valley are much cheaper as far as homes go. Unfortunately, I can't answer most of the questions you asked. However, I think this website can answer some of them: http://sallylerette.mostreferred.com/prescott_az/school_crime_air_quality_toxic_hazards_living_cost_reports_162.html Best of luck if you decide to move! Shannon
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/04 9:52 pm - CA
Jeannie, Here's a good site ... bestplaces.net/col/col.aspx (add http://www. to the beginning) I'm soon to be an Arizona transplant from Los Angeles. Movers will be here on Friday. We are moving to the Phoenix area and can't wait. So much better than here. Lower cost of living, lower crime rate etc. We love the Phoenix area too. So much to do and see. Good luck. Mary
Dana M.
on 8/26/04 1:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, My mom and dad lived in Prescott Valley for 25 years. The cost of living is lower considering where you live now. But city of Prescott is more expensive than Prescott Valley or Chino Valley like the other person said. The hospital is in Prescott and is called Yavapai Community and I do not think very highly of it myself. My parents always got care in Phoenix, about 80 miles away. The weather is great in the area, not too hot in the summer and nice and chilly in the winter some occasional snow. I think you would like it. Dana in Phoenix
Becky Stark
on 8/29/04 8:26 am - Lake Havasu City, AZ
Welcome to your brother and his family and hopefully to you. The Prescott area is absolutely beautiful. Prescott has the higher cost of living of the three towns you mention but things are closer in town. Chino Valley and Prescott Valley are more spread out and have larger lots/pieces of land. I prefer Chino Valley, the lots seem larger there and its a little more settled. Prescott Valley is a new development. Income is commensurable with the cost of living - its a bit lower but making a living is not difficult. Sounds like you are in the medical field. If that's the case you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. Yavapai Community Hospital is small but a good hospital. There also is the Veterans Hospital. Both are in Prescott. But you can always find work in Phoenix - it is only 1 1/2 hours away and if you are maybe a nurse you can work in one of the hospitals in Phoenix doing 3, 12-hour shifts then go home for 4 days. Lots of people do that. Crime? What's that? The crime rate is so low there that it's not an issue. You will find a lot of tree-huggers in Prescott, and animal-lovers in Chino Valley & Prescott Valley. But everyone is very friendly. Even the cowboys that come annually for the Cowboy Poets festival. Once in a while Whiskey Row gets a little bit rowdy but not out of hand. Hope you make it to Arizona. It really is nice here, well except the heat in Lake Havasu in summer but the winters more than make up for that. Take care Becky
baddgurrl
on 9/1/04 6:17 am - Chino Valley, AZ
All I can say is that you will love it here, the weather and cultural events are great. As far as Chino and Prescott Valley being less expensive....well that is changing, and there is so much building going on up here it's not the same as it was even five years ago, there are many high end homes and communities coming into the area. But there is still land available, and there is a huge horse community here. The sunrises and sets are amazing, and it truly is heaven on earth if you have lived in the city. Here in Chino we have tons of Antelope, so really there is a place where the antelope roam, there are some left in PV, but not like here, you can see all kinds of wildlife, and the pace is still slower here in the outlying areas than in Prescott. Can't stop progress and Prescott even has a mall now, much more variety in stores selection than before. It used to be a very sleepy, tourist town, and although we have historic buildings and events, and our town square is bustling with activities almost every weekend, the cost of living is higher uop here, but we have become one of the top retirement communities in the whole nation. There is a large contingency of Californians who have been the recent buyers , and they ahve really driven the housing prices up because they think ANY amount of land is worth a ton coming from there. Good for those selling, and maybe eventually good for those of us holding out.
Most Active