need someone to talk to

Vicki M.
on 8/6/04 9:11 am - Chandler, AZ
I had my surgery on July 28th, so this is my 2nd week post op, I lost 10 pounds and I just started to feel weak and is suffering from Diahrea. I am on the full liguid diet and I was doing good the first week, just this week did I start to feel weak and haveing upset stomach. I had my surgery in PHX St Lukes with Dr Fang. Can anyone give me some suggestions of what else I can have besides Farina,Yogurt and cream soups for my meals. The protein shakes are really hard on me. On top of all this I just became Lactose Intorerance. I am starting to feel real down and hope to have some support from someone who has experienced this syptoms. Vicki
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/04 2:02 am - phoenix, AZ
hey i have tones of optioms>e mail me at cjandy @ CYBERTRAILS.COMOT CALL ME AT 603-992-1004 CHRIS
Shannon R.
on 8/7/04 3:48 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Vicki, I had my surgery on the 28th as well will Dr. Juarez. The diarrhea is something you should call the surgeon's office about right away. It's not healthy to have diarrhea and you are probably dehydrated, which could be causing your weakness. Are you drinking lots of fluids and taking your vitamins? As far as the liquid diet, it does suck BIGTIME!! But, it's only for a little longer, so hang in there. I too had problems with the protein shakes. I e-mailed the nutritionist at Bridges and she told me to try Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk and powdered milk to get my protein. It is so much better. I am not sure how this would work with your lactose intolerance, though. You could e-mail her and ask her about it as well as for some different food ideas. She is really nice and responds promptly! Her e-mail address is [email protected] and her name is Jenel Day. As far as the emotional stuff is concerned, I have definitely had my moments too. Sometimes I think "what the heck did I do!?" I think it comes with the territory and I hope it will get better. Your ten pound loss is awesome, though! Ten pounds in ten days is quite an accomplishment. I hope you feel better soon. Shannon
brinkman_d
on 8/8/04 4:13 am - Chandler, AZ
Vicki, You can also try soymilk in low carb form, either by itself, or to make protein shakes with. I also added protein powder to sf puddings made with soy milk, powdered milk to instant mashed potatoes topped with lite cheese - dunno if you can have soft stuff yet, so be careful. Feeling down is not unusual at this point, and at a few points in the future. Your body is going thru so many changes and recovery from this MAJOR surgery, is a ***** I drink the Nectars for protein because I don't like shakes. Anyway, I'm in Chandler too, so if you need some help, let me know! Good luck!
Tamara T.
on 8/17/04 11:26 pm - Claypool, AZ
Vicki, Compared to some on here I guess I am an old timer to the surgery at 7 1/2 months out. The diarrhea is not good I do hope that you got to the Dr. and got that taken care of. I have to stress the water. I think that everyone that has ever had the surgery has the Oh My God what the hell did I do moments. The trauma of the surgery itself can cause that. It is definitely going to get better. I had nausea about the same time you did and I tell you what, if I NEVER see broth or jello again in my life it will be too soon. I had my surgery with Dr. Blackstone's office so it was a little different in that I could eat the soft diet after about a week. With no trouble at all I must say. Once you start seeing the pounds melting off it will make the bad feelings disappear. I think that the advice of the other two folks that responded to you is absolutely correct. I never drank the protein shakes but I do eat protein bars. Keep up the great work and come to this board for any encouragement or advice, the people on here are the best. Tammy Lap RNY 1/8/04 130 lbs down 50 to go
Most Active