PCOS

sgirl
on 8/3/04 7:26 am - tucson, AZ
I just found out that I have PCOS and that is one of the many reasons that I can't lose weight. I bleed non-stop, sometimes light and sometimes heavy clotting. It affect my blood sugar counts. Has anyone had to deal with this prior to surgery and how did you do in that situation after surgery. Thanks everyone.
mesameli
on 8/5/04 4:43 am - TX
What is PCOS ? I had a hysterectomy years ago for what you are describing and lost 50 lbs without doing anything. Of course I gained it all back and then some, but now I am having the surgery next week. I am 49 years old so having my uterus etc removed was ok for me. I don't miss it at all...LOL! Let me know how your doing, OK? Meli
sgirl
on 8/6/04 5:22 am - tucson, AZ
PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a health conditin linked with hormonal imbalances and insulin resistance, which can bring about a whole menu of symptoms, from irregular, non-existent, breakthrough, or hemmoraghing like bleeding, acne, severe unexplained weight gain, difficulty losing weight, fatigue, depression, hair loss, body hair, skin tags, darkening of the neck, underarms and inner thighs, plus a host of other symptoms. I am only 34 and battled "period issues" since I started at the age of 11. The doctors always dismissed it as "too athletic", "too tomboyish". I feel good that now it has a name, not that I have it, but that it has a name. I bleed for months at a time and I feel like I am anemic, but all the lab work says otherwise. So that is what PCOS is. Thanks
Keepers_kitty
on 8/7/04 1:10 am - Buckeye, AZ
I have PCOS and have had it for several years. I have many of the symptoms but I have heard that with weight loss they drasticly reduce. I am not sure if this is true but I sure do hope so. ~Rachel
sgirl
on 8/7/04 4:41 am - tucson, AZ
Hi Rachel, you are correct. I forgot to add that. Did your gynecologist tell you that it would have to be "drastic". Do you have lots of non stop bleeding, and what are you doing for it now? I have been of glucophage for about a month now, and no changes, but I will be patient. Mine did, and that in itself is one of the major reasons that I would like to have this done. I just want to feel healthy. But with all the bleeding that I do, I am afraid that they will try to force me to have a blood transfusion. I am against that. I have been reading on lots of other options that just make better sense. Thank you for the additional info.
Dana R.
on 8/8/04 2:27 pm - Tucson, AZ
PCOS can be regulated by natural hormones in some instances. Natural progesterone can be very helpful in regulating menstrual cycles. It has no side effects and has many benefits. Another option is a drug called Metformin. It is used for diabetes and insulin resistance. That is why it helps with PCOS. I'd be happy to talk with you more about this if you want to give me a call. Dana Reed-Kane, Pharm.D. Reed's Compounding Pharmacy Tucson, AZ 520-318-4421
Alli G.
on 8/14/04 12:24 pm - Troy, NY
Hi Sally..Greetings from NY! I have had PCOS since puberty, got my 1st period at age 16 on my birthday, lasted like a day.. and never came back. I have had to go through fertility treatments to no avail, and even gained weight through basic training and being active duty in the Army. Basically for me, my RNY was a last chance for me to regain control over this PCOS and get my life back! Hopefully when the weight really starts coming off, my period will return, and I will be able to be a mom someday! PCOS longterm can affect you in many ways like diabetes.. insulin resistance... heart disease... male pattern hair growth, weight gain especially in the abdomen...ovarian cancer to name a few. It has been the thought that with weight loss, there is a good chance of "reversing" a lot of the problems associated w/ PCOS, however it is also said that there is no treatment, and usually need to be on some kind of BCP to regulate your periods, weather they or heavy or non-existant, unless trying to conceive. There is a lot of information on the topic available on the web, try typing in PCOS as a key word and see what you come up with, that is how I educated myself about the subject, and in turn helped to educate a lot of my doctors who at the time had never heard of it!!Best wishes!
Helen S.
on 9/11/04 5:02 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Sally, I had PCOS from puberty - fought with years of irregular periods, hemorrhaging, periods that lasted MONTHS, several D& C's. then went thru 3 years of fertility drugs/shots/surgeries/in vitro attempts - to no avail. I had all the problems - insulin resistance, diabetes, hirsutism, weight gain, giant ovaries. During one fertility cycle, I hyperstimulated and got very very sick. When it was obvious bearing children was not going to happen for me, I finally agreed to a hysterectomy - and FOR ME, that was the BEST decision I ever made - I was never sorry. However, looking back, I attempted all the fertility stuff at 250-300 lbs. So, I am sure it affected the outcome. Now, 5 months post-op, my diabetes is GONE, and I am feeling better every day. Also, in my support group, there are several ladies who suddenly started getting regular periods right after surgery - when they had been irregular all along before. And one lady was (argh) pregnant at her 6 week checkup! Helen RNY 4/13/04 293 210
Most Active