Who is the best for Cash Patients?

joyful516
on 7/26/04 3:17 am - Gilbert, AZ
I am a cash patient, I finally have the money for the sugery. I just do not know what place to go to? I want a place where the medical care is great, the office staff are nice. Can anyone give me some feedback?
cindy
on 7/26/04 3:25 am - Mesa, az
That would be Dr. Blackstone at Scottsdale Healthcare. I had my surgery with Dr. Zahn at St. Lukes and he is a fantastic surgeon, but he does not have a great support system. Dr. Blackstone has pre-op and post-op education classes, nutrietinist, and a very good all around support system. I volunteer at the hospital on Wednesday mornings in the pre-op education classes so I know that alot of people from all over the US come to her for there surgery. The Bariatric floor were you stay is very nice with just Bariatric patients and private rooms. Call 480 860-3000 at the hospital and ask for her number. Oh yea, one other thing, she does this Lap RNY. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 -152 lbs
Dirk M.
on 7/29/04 11:35 pm - Atlanta, GA
I am one of those "all over the US" people that came to her.
Arizona_Sun
on 7/26/04 8:42 am - Gilbert, AZ
Barix Clinics in Scottsdale has a nice program, very clean and new facilities, and excellent surgeons and staff. They do the open RNY there and I have not heard if they will be doing the la*****t. It is rather pricey though (my bill was around $55,000 total). However, my experience for the surgery was superb. Sandra
Tanya T.
on 7/27/04 1:03 am - mesa, az
I was not a cash patient (won my appeal) but I agree with Cindy that Dr. Blackstones program is top notch. I met with Zhan and Newholf and they were not my cup of tea. Zhan because it was open vs lap. Newholf because he was an arragent jerk who thought he was Gods gift to fat people. He actually said in his group seminar that we were NOT to ask any questions because he would answer any valid questions in his seminar. He was HORRIBLE!!!! I would not let him opperate on my dog!!! Sorry I will step off my soap box now. Tanya -116
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/04 2:21 am - El Mirage, AZ
First off, GOD BLESS you that you WON'T have to deal with insurance. I went through HELL and BACK to get mine approved, but I'm WORTH IT! (CIGNA) Definitely another vote for Scottsdale Bariatric Center, with Dr. Blackstone. Now, I had her co-surgeon @ the time, Dr. Doxey, but their pre-op, post surgical attention and lastly post op classes are TOP KNOTCH. Your accomodations @ the hospital were nicer than some "quality" hotels that I've stayed at, and because it's such a surgery specific floor that you are on, the nurses are VERY educated about this surgery, and can more than cover all your needs. You'll meet with a nurse every month until you reach your one year. Every other month you have labs drawn, to make sure everything is in order. All of these things are SO incredibly important for us to achieve our goals. She also has monthly support groups, both live and in person, and/or online. You should know EVERYTHING you can about this surgery. Education is SO important. Scottsdale Bariatric MORE than covers this. But don't rely on them alone. READ READ AND READ MORE! You should be ablle to draw your new tummy on a napkin when people ask! Again, TOP KNOTCH. I'll sing the praises of Dr. B ANYTIME. ~Michelle El Mirage 11/21 241/169-ish?/145-155
RedBuddafly
on 7/27/04 9:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Joy, Good luck in finding the place that best fits your needs for the surgery. The cash price for the open roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass at Barix Clinics of AZ is $25,500. That will cover all pre-admission testing (but does not cover any medical clearance testing ordered at your consultation) your surgery, all doctor fees, your hospital stay for 3 nights, and all post op appointments for the 1st year, and an annual visit for lifetime. It will also cover any incidental visits within the first 3 months. Lab work will be required every 3 months, starting 3 months post op for the first year, then annually, and that would be additional. We have worked out a cash pay agreement with a lab to get our self pays a discount. 800-282-0066 The clinic is in NO Scottsdale. I hope this helps. Erica
Arizona_Sun
on 7/28/04 12:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
Erica - thanks for clarifying the difference with the cash price at Barix. I was not aware that there was a difference so that is good to know if I meet others who need the information. Sandra
lemarie22
on 7/27/04 4:12 pm - Glendale, AZ
I'm gonna have to cast my vote for Dr. Blackstone if you're looking for lap RNY. She really has a well rounded program. At her seminar, she stated that the cost runs around 25,000. I was covered by insurance so I'm not sure what the total came to. Even if I had had the opportunity to choose any doctor I wanted, I would have chosen Blackstone. If you are interested in having the DS instead, I'd recommend looking at Dr. Simpson. He's had a lot of experience and his patients love him. I've met him and found him to be very personable. Choose your surgery and then choose your surgeon. All of the surgeons have seminars. Go to several before you make your decision. Connie
Dirk M.
on 7/29/04 11:30 pm - Atlanta, GA
LOL I think you have found the person... Dr. Blackstone, and I don't care what anyone else says, probably has the best overall program in the country from top to bottom. She hand picks her staff herself, and she won't pick them unless she would want them to work on herself as well.. She has everyone from a nutrionist to a physical trainer, no stone is left uncover.... Overall I think I paid about 16000 for the whole operation, and that was with a whole day and night in ICU... No Extra charge! If I hadn't had her special package she gives her patients, I got a bill explaining what the price would of been... Almost 27000!!!!! Also, if you love hugs, she gives them out for free
Most Active