New to Phoenix-area. Would like to join Support Group.

Cindy H.
on 7/20/04 10:58 am - Shaker Heights, OH
Hi, I am 18mos. out after a lap RnY that was performed in Cleveland, OH. I would like to find a support group here. I work south of the airport on University Dr. and live in the Biltmore area. If you know of a group somewhere in between it would be a good thing! Thanks, Cindy
Shrinking F.
on 7/21/04 4:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
I don't know of any groups in that are, but wanted to welcome you to the lovely heat of Phoenix. Fanny
Arizona_Sun
on 7/21/04 5:28 am - Gilbert, AZ
The only groups that we are currently aware of are listed a bit further down on this board. Hope one of them will fit your needs. Sandra
Trisha
on 7/22/04 2:57 pm - Glendale, AZ
Welcome to Phoenix. Is it hot enough for you??? ha-ha This message board is a great place of support until you find a support group. Welcome aBOARD! How have the past 18 months gone for you? What are some challenges you have faced and are facing now? What's the best thing that's happened to you?
Cindy H.
on 7/30/04 12:00 am - Shaker Heights, OH
Thanks for the responses ladies. I am surprised by the lack of support groups in the Valley. In Cleveland, many groups were started by individuals who had gone through the surgery, independent of the hospitals. Some were so successful that one or more hospitals now endorse those groups. I had a great experience over the 1st 6 mos. Then my weight loss stopped until now. I have lost 10lbs. since moving here 1mo. ago. Do you think it is the heat!? Anyway, I had a lot of stress in my life over the past year, related to work, so I am attributing the plateau to that more than anything else. I am thrilled with the loss I have had so far, and look forward to losing the other 100lbs or so. I feel great. I have more energy. I am more confident and feel better in my clothes. I do not have to shop at Catherine's anymore. I can get back into clothes at Lane Bryant. My goal is not to have to shop there anymore either!
JRinAZ
on 7/30/04 8:25 am - Layton, UT
Hi Cindy, I am a support mtg junky!!! LOL! I'll try and cut and paste some of the support mtgs here but if it doesn't work then just e-mail me privately and I'll send them to you. Welcome to AZ!!!! It only gets better and better as the summer ends and winter begins! What winter???? LOL! *smiles to you* Joyce in AZ St. Luke's Hospital provides Nutrition Class for patients who had their surgery at St. Luke's on the first Tuesday at 4 pm followed by Support Group with Dr. Messer in the Behavioral Health Center at 5 pm an SUPPORT GROUPSd another at 7 pm. A second nutrition class is held on the third Tuesday at 5:30pm in 307-A - Education Room next to the Bridges Centre. There are St. Luke's Graduate support groups on the 1st Tuesday at 6 pm and again the 3rd Thursday at 5 pm. On-line:** http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WLSST (Moderated by successful St. Luke's patients) This support site is for everyone; regardless of their [email protected] Following is a list of support groups in the Valley if you are unable to attend support group at St Luke's. Remember that support groups are for support and any medical treatment or medical advice needs to come from your doctor. CHANDLER WLS SUPPORT:This is for all WLS patients regardless of their surgeon or program. Support people and pre-ops are welcome.Meeting Days: 2nd and 4th TuesdayMeeting times: 6 pmLocation: Chandler Regional Hospital on Dobson and Frye - Learning Resource RoomContact Information: [email protected]: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chandler_WLSSupport CENTRALVALLEY:GROUP INFORMATION: For all WLS patients regardless of their surgeon or program.MEETING DAYS: First and third ThursdayMEETING TIMES: 6 pmLOCATION: Country Club and Brown in MesaThis group has gone to "Invitation Only". This means that you can come to the meetings and get on the list but you cannot get on the the website until you have been invited. Attendance will insure you an invitation. Contact Person: [email protected]: Central Valley @yahoogroups.com EAST SIDE:GROUP INFORMATION: Is a support group for people who are in any stage of the journey for a new healthier life through Weight Loss Surgery. Our Membership is open to all and is not restricted, no matter which doctor, hospital or weight loss program. We are here to share support, ideas and information with each other.MEETING DAYS: Second and fourth Wednesday of each month MEETING TIMES: 6:00 to 7:30 PM LOCATION: Banner Baywood Hospital in the Superstition Room or the Kokopelli/Anshe Room. (Please check our Online Group to get the correct meeting room). The Hospital is located at: 6644 East Baywood Avenue in Mesa. This is located just north of Broadway, on Power Road. CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator: Glenna Lawrimore - Email address; [email protected] Online group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Eastside_AZWLS/ WESTSIDE_AZWLS: GROUP INFORMATION: This is for all pre-ops, all post-ops and their support people regardless of their surgeon or program. MEETING DAYS: Second and fourth MondayMEETING TIMES: 6:30 -8:00LOCATION: Valley West YWCA 8561 N. 61st AVE. Glendale, AZThis is on 61st Ave between Olive and Northern.CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator [email protected] Online group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WestSide_AZWLS MESA: FitnessGROUP INFORMATION: WLS Health and Fitness is a support group for people who are in any stage of the Journey for a new healthier life through Exercise, Nutrition and Weight Loss Surgery. Our Membership is open to all WLS patients who would like help with their weight loss through a vigorous and well rounded exercise program. The first part of our meetings will be an open discussion group where we can discuss all topics related to Exercise and WLS. The second part of our meetings we will move over to the Fitness Center and help you setup an exercise program that you can follow to help you with your weight loss. There is no cost in joining the group and we will have YMCA certified personal trainers available to help you get your fitness program started.MEETING DAYS: Second and fourth ThursdayMEETING TIMES: 6:00 - 8:00 pmLOCATION: Mesa Family YMCA in the Conference room. This is located at 207 North Mesa Drive in Mesa. It's just south of University on Mesa Drive.CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator's;:Jan Hertzfeld Email address: [email protected] Dale Schmidt Email address [email protected] Online group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/wls_health_and_fitness/PRESCOTT:GROUP INFORMATION: We get together, pre-op and post-op and talk. Everyone is welcome.MEETING DAYS: Second and fourth TuesdayMEETING TIMES: 6:00 pmLOCATION: the Elks in Prescott Valley CONTACT INFORMATION: Contact : [email protected] or [email protected] (Diane).SIERRA VISTA:GROUP INFORMATION: WLS Friends of Sierra Vista, AZ Registration is open to anyone who is considering or has had WLS and their support folks. All are invited to attend our meetings. Currently we have 75 registered members. MEETING DAYS: Second and fourth Tuesday of each monthMEETING TIMES: 6:00 to 8:00 PMLOCATION: LaCaseta Restaurant (rear meeting room), 465 E. Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista, AZ 85635 CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator: Karen Liebsch (likes to go by KC) Email: [email protected], Online Group: [email protected] TUCSON:GROUP INFORMATION: This is the original Southern Arizona area WLS support group. All are welcome (including no ops, pre-ops, post-ops, support people, and information seekers). Our Southern Arizona area support groups are not medically supervised groups, though speakers are being arranged. We offer our own personal triumphs and struggles with the "weight loss" process and support and friendship for all who enter the doors of our meetings and other gatherings! Also held monthly are potluck get-togethers with clothing exchanges.MEETING DAY: Third Monday of each monthMEETING TIME: 7:30 to 8:30 PMLOCATION: Northwest Medical Center, 6200 N. La Cholla Blvd,Women's Center Auditorium, (access on Rudasill Rd).ORMEETING DAY: First Tuesday of each monthMEETING TIMES: 7:00 to 8:30 PMLOCATION: El Dorado Hospital Classroom, 1400 N. Wilmot Rd (turn right at Cafeteria)CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator: Cazlin Robbins (520) 293-6560 and Karen Harvey (520) 406-5663 Online Group: FAR WEST: MEETING DAY 1st Friday of the month MEETING TIMES: 7:00 PM LOCATION: Summit Lutheran church directions can be found at the following website - www.summitlutheran.org. The church is actually a mobile home just for those who may be looking for a big church building in the dark desert. CONTACT INFORMATION: Group Facilitator: Shell: [email protected] Online Group: Yahoo! Groups : AZWLS-FarWest
Most Active