Supportive Restaurants/Suspicious Restaurants

Stephanie J.
on 7/15/04 7:46 am - Tucson, AZ
If you have any stories about your WLS cards not being respected in restaurants in Arizona (and especially in Tucson), our Tucson group would like to hear about it. Some members have particularly had problems at Golden Corral and we'd like to know if problems with restaurants are widespread. Also, if you have restaurants (especially national chains), that give you discounts and respect your bariatric status, please relate that too! There is some interest from the local paper, who might do a piece on it, so let us know if you can be quoted. Thanks. - Stephanie J
Arizona_Sun
on 7/15/04 1:36 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I have never shown my card. I just order a smaller size when I can or take home a doggie bag. I am not sure why I have not shown it, maybe guilt for all the times I ate at all you can eat places and did just that. Sandra
dianeb
on 7/16/04 8:14 am - surprise, AZ
I have only used mine once and that was because another couple paid for the meal. It was at Old Country Buffet (Arrowhead). They DID NOT accept it.
Helen S.
on 7/16/04 4:25 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Stephanie, I live in Phoenix, but I am your girl for information! We eat out a lot. The only place that has even questioned me was Texas Roadhouse - and as soon as I showed my card, they were very agreeable. The best was Hometown Buffet - they knew how much to charge me (for a 4 year old) before I even got my 'speach' out. Some places (JB's, local small restaurants etc) - have to ask a manager how much to charge me, but I have never been questioned for ordering a childs meal (Which I still have to take home more than half). In fact, I have had 3 or 4 waitresses start to ask questions about the surgery - one even wanted to see my scars! I often share a meal with my sister. For the most part, I don't need the card, but I use it if I do! Helen
Donya P.
on 7/28/04 9:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
I can not tell you the name but the Italian restaurant right next to the Cine Capri theater in North Scottsdale ABSOLUTELY refused to let me order off of the child's menu. I usually just ask if i can order on the kids menu and they say yes before my even saying why. a couple of times i have asked about paying less for Souper Salad (child's cost) and they said yes when they knew why. This Italian restaurant refused even though I explained and offered the card. I WON THAT ROUND, THOUGH. That answer was driven out of greed.......so I just drank water while my friend ate dinner. The waitress was so uncomfortable and kept offering me things and then I would explain why I would not eat that - pasta=duh!, chicken breast=no thanks, too much food, hate leftovers, salad=um, no nutritional value. etc. I do not get hungry and did not mind chatting while my friend ate. I actually enjoyed watching the waitress in her frustration. Everywhere else is always so nice or has a nice protein-only side. I have no problems but anymore, I do not care about flavor - I'd just as soon eat cottage cheese every day. And you know........if you order a meal and don't eat much, if you play with your food, people don't really notice you don't eat. I AM FINALLY NORMAL
Most Active