3 weeks post op and no energy!!!!!

Lauri D.
on 7/14/04 12:07 pm - Phoenix, AZ
My best friend had RNY 3 weeks ago today, and for the last 5 or 6 days has had very little energy to do anything. She has only thrown up once (on chicken) and that was 2 days ago. She is drinking enough and taking all her vitamins, calcium, etc. Any ideas as to why she is so tired all the time? She was full of energy when she got home. I don't know what is going on. Did this happen to anyone else?
tina0226
on 7/14/04 2:28 pm - Greenwood, IN
Keep in mind this surgery is MAJOR ... the body needs a lot of rest and time to heal. As long as she is getting in her water and protein I wouldn't be worried. Tina
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/04 1:55 am - El Mirage, AZ
With her being so early out of surgery, your body is still trying to figure out what the heck happened. To be tired is just your body's way of saying "WOAH...let me rest a bit!" I went back to work in 2 weeks, which was fine, but after a full 8-9 hour day...I was DOG TIRED. I would go home and crash by 6 pm, if not for the night...at least for a few hours. It really just took it out of me...and I sit on my BUTT all day! It goes in spurts for me. TONS of energy...to ...NO energy. This still, and I'm almost 9 months out now. (all labs are good) Once she's a few months out, then I might be concerned if she was still real tired. Labs should be run to make sure your b-12 and iron levels are looking good. My surgeon runs these labs every other month. Michelle post op 11/21 down 75+ pounds, with maybe 20 to go.
Helen S.
on 7/16/04 4:27 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I was drained for about 4-6 weeks. Then, gradually, I started feeling more normal. . Your body needs time to adjust. A decrease in that much food, it thinks it is starving, and holds on to the fat for dear life! Give it time - this DOES get better
Diane S.
on 7/17/04 3:11 pm - Higley, AZ
Yes, I had lots of energy 3 days after the surgery then it just seemed to get worse over the next 3 weeks. But gradually, in the weeks that followed, my energy level increased. Just remember to drink your water, take your vitamins, and try hard to exercise as much as you can - it will get better. It's been a year since my surgery and I am sooo hyper and FULL of energy! By the way, I take Melaleuca vitamins - they are SO wonderful and I have had no health problems. I have lost 135 lbs in my first year. GOOD LUCK! Email me if you would like more info
Most Active