AZ, how are YOU exercising?

saffire
on 6/11/04 7:10 am - Phoenix, AZ
I'm 4 1/2 weeks post-op, and while I am walking, I feel like I'm not doing enough (my surgeon wants 2 miles by 6 weeks, and while I've done 1 mile ONCE, I usually do less than that). My energy level isn't helping matters - in the early morning, when weather is ideal for exercising in Phoenix, I am still struggling to open my eyes - literally! Early evening is better, but obviously with these rising temps that won't work for long. The doc has suggested walking in the malls. I'm not a fan of the crowds, but I'm willing to do what needs to be done. I'm also considering a treadmill, but have to wait a month or so until I can buy one. My question is, does anyone else out there have any other suggestions? I WANT to get my exercise in!!!
tina0226
on 6/11/04 3:00 pm - Greenwood, IN
Have you tried a walking video? I know you can get them at the library. Can remember who does them but I know they exist my Mom use to watch them. Tina
saffire
on 6/12/04 6:55 am - Phoenix, AZ
You know, as much sense as that makes , I haven't. But they've been mentioned a lot on the boards, especially recently, that I may just have to try them. And I looked one up earlier today; I think they're done by Leslie Sansone (or something like that).
Tanya T.
on 6/13/04 5:39 am - mesa, az
Angie, I do not know where you live but I know that most malls open early for "mall walkers" and there is only serious walkers there. That is what I did when I first had surgery. Now I go the Naturally Woman and do aroebics, weight training and water vollyball. Hope this might help. Tanya -105
saffire
on 6/15/04 9:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Tanya, thanks for your response. My surgeon recommended the mall walks in the morning, but since I'm barely able to wake up in time for work (energy/fatigue level), the mall won't do it for me at the moment. However, water volleyball sounds REALLY appealing, so I did go check out Naturally Women's website. I may use their free pass to check out one of their locations.
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/04 8:48 am - El Mirage, AZ
I HIGHLY recommend CURVES, also. I've been going since I was cleared for such excercise @ one month post op. (In Dec.) I have lost 55+ inches off my body, and it's helped GREATLY for toning. A 30 minute work out, and you're done. I still try ro walk or bike, but if I don't get to that later in the evening, I don't feel TOO bad. Good luck!! ~Michelle El Mirage -65 or so pounds now. post op 11/21
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/04 4:33 am - phoenix, AZ
I started of slow as i was 450lbs.I found walking was wonderfull as i did in fact learn to apreciate other things when i did it>listen to music wach nature meditate on thing i was told to do to help my self esteem was not to walk live a heavy person walk with confidence and pride no i am able to hike for 6 to 9 miles it took time but i did in fact find an excersise that became my passion as its part of the lifestyle change chris
saffire
on 6/15/04 9:11 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had checked out Curves pre-op to see if I'd like it, and I decided very quickly that I'd end up being bored. When I do health clubs, I like them to have swimming pools (for water aerobics or the occasional free swim), and like to do the treadmills, bikes (when my butt gets smaller! ) and free weights. Curves just didn't have enough for me. So I may end up joining another health club again; the last one I was at was just falling apart, and I couldn't justify continuing paying monthly dues for a deteriorating club!
Becky F.
on 6/15/04 8:55 am - Chandler, AZ
I love Leslie Sanson's in home walking videos. The steps are easy and the pace is not overkill.
Most Active