Hospitals in AZ???

Bernice B.
on 5/27/04 3:24 am - Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know of any good hospitals in the Phoenix area for gastric bypass? I know of Scottsdale Bariatric but I also know that you don't see a surgeon at consult and I don't know how much I like that? Has anyone gone to Barix Clinics?
Andy G.
on 5/27/04 3:42 am - Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Bernice, I was just burning some time and looking at other state's message boards and I came across your post. I know several people who have gone to Barix Clinics (used to be BTC) near my home in Ypsilanti MI. They definitely have you meet with a surgeon at your consultation. I haven't heard of Scottsdale Bariatric. Are they just in your area? I am surprised that the insurance companies will allow them to gain approval if the surgeon doesn't write the letter of necessity after the consultation. I believe that most of the larger places do let you meet with the surgeon at the consult (livlite, wish). I would probably stick to the places that let you meet the actual person who will be performing your surgery. I know that nurses and M.A.s are experienced, but the surgeon is the one who is doing all the work when it comes down to it. Good luck in your search for the right doctor.
cindy
on 5/27/04 3:45 am - Mesa, az
Scottsdale Healthcare has a fantastic pre-op and post-op program, and Dr. Blackstone is very skilled in the lap gastric bypass. They are very limited to the insurance that they except, but if you are self pay, they would be a excellent choice. I volunteer on Wednesdays at the pre-op education class, and there are many people that attend the education class that are not from Arizona. Just yesterday a gentlemen was in class that was from Missouri, and he also a member of ObesityHelp.com, and he is self pay, and could have gone anywhere for his surgery but choose Dr. Blackstone. The hospital is clean, and they have a floor that has just WLS patients and nurses that are trained for that floor. You have private rooms and baths. Oh BTW, the reason I volunteer at Scottsdale Healthcare, is for three reasons, one it is closer to my home, my husband works there, and on Wednesdays we have lunch together and the third, is that the programs that go along with Dr. Blackstone are great. I had my surgery with Dr. Zahn at St. Luke's in Phoenix, I could not self pay and he was the only surgeon that excepted my insurance. He is a fantastic surgeon, but he only does open gastric bypass. He is wonderful, and saved my life. I had a risky surgery because of my heart, and years ago he was a heart surgeon, so I knew that he would be perfect for my surgeon. St. Luke's is a older hospital, and the neighborhood is not the best, but the care I received was excellent. You do have to share a room with another patient, and the bad part is that it may not be a WLS patient. There are other great surgeons in this area, Dr. Juarez, Dr. Newhop, Dr. Fong, and Dr. Simpson are a few that I have seen there names on this message board. Both Dr. Blackstone and Dr. Zahn are listed with Obesityhelp.com, you should take a look at the Bariatric Surgeons section on Obesityhelp.com and read the comments from people, and get as much information as you can to make the best choice for you. Cindy Smith Open 8-6-03 -135 lbs
Bernice B.
on 5/27/04 4:11 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for you information. I think that I will check out the seminar for Barix Clinics, I went to their site and there is one on June 17th in Tucson which I guess wouldn't be a bad drive. I'm nervous about the surgery being in a major hospital. I flip flop on the pro's and cons of a major hospital where I could catch disease verses a private hospital. Do you know anyone that has gone to Barix in AZ?
Helen S.
on 5/27/04 6:11 am - Phoenix, AZ
Several hospitals in the area do Bariatric Surgeries - Barix is thru Scottsdale Healthcare, then there is St. Luke - with Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang. Then there is Banner Good Samaritan, which is with Dr. Simon and Dr. Newhoff. And there is the Wish Center thru Tempe St. Lukes Hospital - and they have their own surgical group.
Joe D.
on 5/27/04 11:21 pm - Detroit, MI
Barix Clinics is not through Scottsdale Healthcare. They are a private hospital which is part of a national bariatric program that has private hospitals in 6 states.
Arizona_Sun
on 5/28/04 1:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
I had my surgery at Barix Clinic Scottsdale on December 8. It is a wonderful facility and Dr. Schlesinger is very skilled. Check out my profile and take a look at my private website (link in my profile) for some photos of my Barix journey. Just call the Barix 800 number and they can schedule you to a meeting with the surgeon (they have two) and other staff at your consult meeting. When I did it at the facility it was a one-on-one meeting that lasted about 3 hours. I would imagine their seminar in Tucson is to help them expose that area to what they do and a seminar for many people would make sense given the distance from Scottsdale. I went to my consult meeting with Dr. S fully prepared with my medical records and copies of lab work and anything else that he would want to review. Feel free to contact me via email if you have more questions. Sandra
RedBuddafly
on 5/27/04 8:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Bernice.. Barix Clinics (aka BTC) is located in Scottsdale (Princess Dr & The 101 Loop). The surgeons are Dr Eric Schlesinger and Dr Thomas Batay-Csorba. Each of them have been performing this surgery for over 7 yrs. They are not new to the surgery, just to AZ. Dr S hails from IL, and Dr B-C hails from MI. Both are highly experienced and likeable. Barix offers a comprehensive program. At your initial consult you meet with the surgeon of your choosing, and a patient counselor (someone who has been through the surgery). There will be a free seminar in June in Tucson, and one in Scottsdale in July. The Barix Clinics is not a network provider for any of the ins co's, so you would need a PPO insurance. This would cause you to have a bit of an out of pocket (depends on YOUR ins policy) but there is not a lengthy waiting period. Good luck to you in your process!! Erica 11-9-00 -155 lbs
Darlene B.
on 5/29/04 3:00 am - Tucson, AZ
I had my surgery at Barix Clinics (formerly bariatric treatment center) June 30, 2003. My Dr. was Eric Schlinger I can not say enough good things about the hospital or Dr. Schlinger. What I found impressive about the hospital is most of the employees have been thru the surgery so they know exactly what you are going thru. Dr. Schlinger has done over 2000 surgeries, so I felt very comfortable with him. What I also like about Barix Clinic is you have access to the Dr., Nurses and Dietatian at any time. I have called them to ask about what I could take for sinus problems and had either a call back or answer with in minutes. Go for the consult, I have a free consult card if you are interested or just tell them I referred them. If you have other questions let me know or join one of the support group meetings we have. Our next one is June 8th at 7 PM. Trails West Club house. 8401 South Kolb Road. If you have other questions drop me a line Good luck and like I said Batrix was great for me. I feel like they are family now Darlene
Kerry M.
on 5/31/04 8:26 am - Cleveland, TN
Hi Bernice I had my surgery done at Paradise Valley Hospital in Phoenix. My doctors name is Dr. James Magary. He is the best!!! I love him and his staff. He came and saw 3 times each day I was in the hospital. The hospital nurses were beyond unbelievable. They even had a special bariatric floor. Call him... 602-923-5010. He takes most insurances and his receptionist is killer at getting auth (she got mine in less than 24 hours!!) Kerry
Most Active