How do you get enough water in this heat?

lisaw072004
on 5/24/04 2:01 am - E. Mesa, AZ
Can anyone from Arizona explain how to keep from getting heat stroke after surgery? Is it difficult to get enough water in? Can a person walk outside if the temps are 110 and above? How will you know if you are dehydrated? Lisa W
Tamara T.
on 5/24/04 9:11 am - Claypool, AZ
Hi Lisa; I haven't had a problem getting in enough water. I am almost 5 months post op and am able to drink almost a gallon a day. You will know if you are dehydrated if you are thirsty, they told us in our classes that before you get thirsty you will be somewhat dehydrated. I think you really have to force the water for awhile to get your body used to it. My poor body almost went into shock from all of the water and no Dr. Pepper. LOL Tammy Lap RNY 1/8/04 326/240/125
lisaw072004
on 5/24/04 9:34 am - E. Mesa, AZ
Thanks, Tammy. My surgery will be in July and I know that is the hottest time of the year here in Arizona. So I am thinking that either I will walk at the mall, or I will have to do walking early in the a.m. before it gets real hot. Normally, though, after coming in from outside in the heat, I have about four glasses of water. So knowing that you can't gulp after WLS, I was wondering how I'd keep from getting too dry. I don't take the heat very well anyway. But like they told me, "summer in Arizona isn't bad, it's a dry heat, you won't even notice it." lol.
Tammy F.
on 5/24/04 12:29 pm - Fishers, IN
My reply to those who always say "Well yes it's hot in Arizona but it's a dry heat" is "Well if you stick your head in the oven, it's a dry heat too but it doesn't make it any less painful!" Just make sure you keep sipping water throughout the day and don't wait until you're thirsty to do so. By the time you're thirsty, you're technically dehydrated at that point. Good luck to you! Tammy Open RNY 11/21/03 -118 pounds
Most Active