Mortality Rate

Trisha
on 5/21/04 3:30 pm - Glendale, AZ
Well I went to Dr. Juarez WLS seminar today to find out info about surgery, plus it was mandatory that I attend before consult. I was surprised there were so many people there (probably 150-200). It was basically a Q&A session. He described the surgery and then we asked questions. I learned so much. One thing I asked was about the mortality rate of GBS. The media says that 1 in 200 die from this surgery. Dr. Juarez was honest and said that was true, however the patients don't die on the table. 1 in 200 die post surgery due to 1 of 5 reasons: Pulmonary embolism, blood clot (DUVR), bleeding, leaking and one other thing I forgot what it was. But basically he said that those usually happen to higher risk patients coming into surgery with a BMI over 60 and multiple co-morbidities. So that did put me at ease a bit. My BMI is about 48, but I have no co-morbidities. But you never know. He even said that there are about 200 people in the room right now and one of us will most likely die post surgery. I was looking around wondering who it could be - it certainly can't be me. LOL I also asked if everyone gets the same size pouch or if it varies. He said that everyone gets about the same size pouch - the size of an egg. I've heard different pouch sizes from people so wanted to make sure that I didn't get a BIG pouch compared to others. Ykwim? Know how some post-GBS patients lose FAST and others lose slow, always wondered if pouch size had to do with that. (pouch envy! lol ) It was very informative plus they had a lady give her testimonial there about her experience and she looks great. Her before pictures look like me now, so that encouraged me, plus she was my age (31). She also took questions from us about her experience. Listening to her story was inspiring. Anyway, glad I got that portion of my journey done. Step-by-step!
Shannon R.
on 5/22/04 2:57 am - phoenix, az
Hi! I am glad you changed your mind and went to the seminar. I don't have that doctor but those seminars are very informative. I suggest you keep on looking around for as much info as possible. The more education you have the better you will feel about your decision. I am glad the surgeon was THAT honest. It really puts it into perspective when he says one of you in the room could be the one of 200 that could die. It really smacks you right in the face with reality. It's definatly not something to take lightly and I think if you are educating yourself as much as possible you are on the right track. You have to weigh pro's and con's.... I personally am glad the insurance companies and doctors don't just let anyone get the surgery. It's not FOR just anyone. But if your health is at risk and weigh****chers isn't working (and they are the best non-surgical program around)...this definatly could be for you...But it's Your decsion and only YOURS. Keep coming and asking any questions you have, we would all be happy to help in any way! Good Luck! BTW, my friend had surgery under Dr. Juarez and she did pretty good. She didn't lose as much after 2 years as she wanted, she still has some weight to lose, but it's because she didn't follow her diet properly, she ate solids way before she was suppose to and she didn't dump at all. So, a lot of that was her own fault. Another reason you must be committed!!!! Please continue to post and keep us in the loop on your progress! I am anxious to hear about it!!! love, Shannon
Most Active