Post Op Question

Sarah B.
on 5/21/04 4:16 am - Tucson, AZ
This is a question for post op patients... I've been going to a behavior modification psychologist and he wanted me to come online and find 6 different answers to what you do when you go out to eat in a social situation. At a restaurant, what do you do? Do you order a certain type of food, or do you not eat, or do you order what you want and leave it there, or take it home, etc? What do you personally do? All responses from anyone are welcome but I'm really interested in people that have been in this situation after their surgery. For any of you from Tucson, my psychologist is Dr. Kenneth Keller. I also was wondering, if anyone that has been through behavior modification, have you had to go down to eating what you would eat after the surgery? Because he's talking about wanting me to do what I'd do after the surgery in the form of the amount I'm eating. I mean I know I have changed a lot of habits already, and I'm taking steps towards the surgery, but I was under the impression that you continue to eat meals normal to your stomach size and then after the surgery you don't eat as much. Someone help please, I'm really confused.
Tamara T.
on 5/21/04 5:37 am - Claypool, AZ
Sarah, I was confronted with this about 3 weeks post op. My sister in law invited us to the Outback steakhouse. Well it took a little bit but my husband ordered the steak and crab, he hates crab so I ate it and he ate the steak. I have also just ordered a diet chicken plate ie: cottage cheese, chicken breast and fruit. What I don't eat either my husband does or I take it home for a different meal.
dianeb
on 5/21/04 8:17 am - surprise, AZ
Hi Sarah, I am a little over 6 months post op. I had to attend a dinner function last week. On the menu was baked Salmon and a beef fillet along with a salad and dessert. I waited for the dinner portion before I ate my salad. I didn't want to fill up on low protein food first. I would say portion size, I was able to eat 1/4 salad and 1/4 salmon and 1/4 fillet. I pushed the rest aside. I had no room to be tempted by the dessert!! If I go out to eat, I make a conscious decision on high protein food first and order them. For example: If I am hungry for a salad then I order one with some chicken or maybe a cobb. I usually order a full order and take the rest home for another meal. My husbands is like Joey on Friends and hates to share his food so that really doesn't work out much. Some advise...you won't even think about food from a restaurant for the first 2-3 months! You will not be hungry!!! I hope this helps Good Luck Diane
Helen S.
on 5/21/04 8:25 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had a 'unique' situation - my sister is mortified that someone will find out I had this surgery! So, when we go out to eat, we tell the waiter that we are 'going to share' and order one meal. I get small pieces off of the dinner, and my sister eats the rest. It works if someone is willing to share. Otherwise, I just order a small dinner, and take the rest home for a couple of meals for later!
HarleyGirl
on 5/21/04 12:02 pm - Maricopa, AZ
First off, good group of questions and the responses are great. I've done a couple of things when going out I am 7 wks post-op. The first thing I do is try not to make a big deal about the menu and bring attention to myself or the people I'm with. I have ordered off the children's menu at Boston Market. My first outing I had a cup of soup at Red Robin. There is an age difference here, but I also order off the "Senior" menu even though I'm not quite there yet . most of the time the waiter or waitress really doesn't care what part of the menu you order off of. It's just a personal thing but I try not to share or eat off someone elses meal. I have done that only once and it was at a Bill Johnson's on Mother's Day and my Daughter ordered her meal and because it comes with so much I had her soup and a little bit of the fish. Another thing is I will order off the ala carte menu, did this at IHOP and had an egg and corned beef hash, didn't have to waste food or money with all the extra stuff. As you can tell I eat out alot because it is just my Husband and I. He's been great with all this and has finally figured out that when he asks where I want to go, I just tell him to pick the place and I will adapt! The main thing I keep in mind is that the choice is mine now food does not control me anymore, I am in control of what goes in my mouth and I'm gonna make every bite worth what I have gone through to have a long, healthy life. Make it fun, tasty, delicious and it will be fun! Best of Luck!
tina0226
on 5/21/04 3:27 pm - Greenwood, IN
Great quesion. First of all like someone else said you wont feel like going out for 2-3 months anyways. When I did start going out I ordered from the kids menu but that gets old and not all places will let you do that. Sometimes I will share with whomever I am out to eat with or I will order my own. If I order my own I ask for a to-go box and I ask the waiter to bring it with my dinner, that allows me to put the food away I know I can't eat so that I don't over do it and end up sick. I take the rest home and eat it for another meal. When I start to feel full I put my napkin over my food so that it is not staring at me and tempting me to take another bite. I do not order cetain foods, I order whatever my heart feels happy with, however I do not order deserts and sometimes I ask them to replace the fries with fruit. Hope this helps. Let me know what the psychologist says, I am interested. Tina
Arizona_Sun
on 5/22/04 12:24 am - Gilbert, AZ
When I go out I don't usually worry about what part of the menu I am using. What I tend to decide on is food that will be easily split into more than one meal and that I think will reheat nicely. I tell the waitperson that I know I will not be able to eat all of the meal and request a take home box right away. I, then, separate my meal before I begin whenever possible. The majoirty of the time I will use my second and/or third meal within the next one or two days. Now if I were to attend a function where a take home box is not an option I would just decide on what my portion size should be and cut it to that and separate it out. If I am with my husband and he is hungry enough I would give him the extra. One example is when I go to Red Lobster I order the fresh fish in the lunch portion. I get two meals from this. I also request an extra serving of the steamed fresh veggies in place of the salad because their salad is boring and I would rather have the other veggies in my second meal. I order my fish grilled and tend to prefer the Tilapia. I do eat some of their wonderful mashed potatoes as my "dessert" for the meal. I have found that all of this reheats quite nicely the next day. I am still working on adding variety to the places where I go to eat. I tend to have a small group of places right now and that does get boring. Sandra
lemarie22
on 5/22/04 2:36 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Sarah, When I was still waiting for insurance approval, some of the wonderful friends that I met through this site like, Donna, Michelle and Jan, and others had already had or were about to have surgery. I made a pest of myself and went to lunch and dinner with them. This not only gave me the opportunity to get to know these wonderful ladies, but I also got to see how they eat and what choices they werer making. I started eating out within a couple of weeks of surgery. Between family and friends, meals are an important part of our lives. My first meal out was Taco Bell's Pintos and Cheese. My first rule is protein. Sometimes I can find this in appetizers, sometimes in soups. I often have to be creative, but I've never been anywhere that I couldn't figure something out. The good news is that everyone seems to be on Atkins or South Beach so waiters don't think it's strange when you ask for something to be modified. No one questions when I ask for a sandwich without the bread. Sometimes I take doggie bags and sometimes I leave it behind. Seldom do I overeat because I know the pain that brings. What you can eat and how much is greatly dictated by the type of surgery you have. Good luck. Connie
Most Active