United Healthcare Choice Plus in Tucson?

Road R.
on 5/12/04 2:20 am - Tucson, AZ
Hello, everyone! I had surgery six months ago, and my husband and I have recently moved to Tucson. I will be looking for a new surgeon to handle my follow-up care. I've just learned that our new insurance is United Healthcare Choice Plus. My questions are: 1. Can anyone recommend a surgeon that accepts this insurance? 2. Has anyone been aproved for a TT or other plastics through this insurance? I would appreciate any responses and info regarding local surgeons, United Healthcare and reconstructive surgery following WLS. Thank you in advance for your help!
Shrinking-Violet
on 5/12/04 2:18 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi there I live in Tucson, in fact I'm a native. Born & raised! There are currently only 3 WLS surgeons in Tucson that I know of. Those surgeons are: Dr. Stephen Burpee, Dr. Patrick Chiasson, and Dr. Nicholas Metzger. All 3 of these surgeons are contracted with United Healthcare, at least on the EPO plan they are. (I also have United Healthcare through work.) Many people also go up to Phoenix for a WLS surgeon. There are several in the Phoenix are that United Healthcare considers to be In-Network There is also a WLS support group here in Tucson. You can find the website at: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/TUSWLS/ We meet twice a month at 2 different locations (Northwest & Eastside). It's a wonderful group of people. I am pre-op, but I have been going to both meetings every month. I find it motivating and very informational :D Angela Pre-op Dr. Burpee No date yet
Road R.
on 5/13/04 1:40 am - Tucson, AZ
Angela, thank you so much for the great information! Once we're settled, I may see you at a meeting. Best of luck to you on your journey!
Sally Jane N.
on 5/19/04 1:25 pm - AZ
I have a question since you to have United Health Care. I have it through my husbands work in a mine in Morenci,AZ. so mine may not be the same as yours. DO you know if they cover the lap bands? Thanks for your time,
Shrinking-Violet
on 5/19/04 2:29 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi there: I honestly don't know if they cover the lap band procedure. In fact, I don't recall anyone with UH stating that they had the lap band- it's mostly RNY'ers that I've heard of. Sorry I couldn't help! They best bet is call the Customer Service line at (800) 636-8884. Give them your info & ask them to look up your specific plan to see if they cover WLS. Whether they cover it or not is usually up to each individual employer & whether or not they want an exclusion in their policy. If they say they do cover it, ask them which specific procedures are approved (i.e.: lap band? RNY? Duodenal Switch?). They might say WLS is covered only if it's deemed medically necessary. If so make sure you get your PCP to write a letter stating that it is. Good luck! -Angela
Most Active