NOT COVERED

Amie S.
on 5/10/04 7:40 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi, I am 26 and have missed out on most of my life due to my weight. I finally got up the courage to look into having this surgery, and come to find out my insurance WONT cover it. I feel defeated. I instantly broke into tears. I had already set up my consultation with Barix Clinics, and had to call to see what my options were, being that I was not insured. Well my patient coordinator was very quick to basically tell me, TOO BAD..call us back if you ever get better insurance. I cant afford 20,000 i just cant. I have done every diet you can think of and its just not working. Its a struggle to even leave the house cause Im so dissapointed by the way I look. Is there some other option for me?
Sheryl Tilley
on 5/10/04 11:29 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Amie! Don't give up -- seems like most of us have had insurance or other problems. Keep coming to this board and learning about the procedure. Consider the insurance thing just a temporary delay while you are learning more. Start a reference notebook with all your info in it. First of all - you have to get over how you look. Insurers look for health problems -- high blood pressure, GERD, diabetes, heart, kidneys, etc. That is where the urgency is. Insurance companies aren't very understanding about 'looks'. They look for health complications. Second -- yes - insurance is a bad one. Which insurance do you have presently? Look at the insurers section on this site to give you ideas about who is getting the surgery and what they have for insurance. That will help. I've seen some women on here going down to Ensenada, Mexico for the procedure for around $$$six thousand$$$ BUT I don't recommend it since they don't teach people how to cope with this 'tool' and new lifestyle. This procedure is not a magic wand. There's plenty of work in it. Just don't give up. I was tempted to many times and then someone on here would help me solve a problem and would get me going in the right direction again. You'll make it! Hugs! SHeryl
tina0226
on 5/10/04 12:43 pm - Greenwood, IN
Can you change to a different insurance? Or what about the other weight loss surgery centers ... I think there is one in Scottsdale but I have no idea what it is called. A friend told me if you are not covered they will set up payment arangements you can afford. I wish you the best of luck. I too am 26 and I can tell you what a difference this surgery has made in my life ... if I could have only done it earlier. Tina
RedBuddafly
on 5/11/04 9:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
AMIE, See if your employer will opt to have the procedure covered. It is your employer who chose to have a policy where certain procedures are excluded. In most cases, the employer dosen't really know what they are excluding, they are just going with a cheaper option under the ins plan. Or, see if you can change at open enrollement.. or perhaps find another job with an employer who does cover the surgery, and there is of course always the option of cash pay. If this is meant to happen.. it will. Erica
Sheryl Tilley
on 5/12/04 1:49 pm - Prescott, AZ
Hi Amie! I also wanted to tell you this and forgot -- if you talk a lot about your appearance or things missing in your younger years, it will kind of red flag you with the psychological exam. There are a few psychologists that will term it as 'issues' and not pass you and recommend you for like 5-10 extra sessions which costs a LOT more. So stick with things about your health. Hugs! Sheryl
Trisha
on 5/14/04 4:35 pm - Glendale, AZ
Oh, wow, good point, Sheryl. I never thought about that. because I'm 31 and I think, gosh, I spent my 20's obese and single and missing out on my "wild years". LOL But I won't mention that in the psych evaluation or even to Dr. Juarez. The less red flags the better. I also heard you shouldn't cry in the session either. Gosh, so many things to remember! Trisha in Glendale :waving:
Trisha
on 5/14/04 4:31 pm - Glendale, AZ
Barix is not your only option here. I also called them a couple months ago and the person the phone asked me a few questions to assess me and said to call back when I have Aetna POS vs. Aetna HMO. Gee, thanks. So this is what I did, and this is what you need to do: Go to your primary care doctor. Tell that doctor you want this surgery and get a referral to a bariatric surgeon. That's what I did and she was like, absolutely. I got my referral within a week and made the appt with Dr. Juarez. So I wasn't able to go to BTC (Barix), but there ARE other options! Keep your chin up and call your primary doctor for a referral to a bariatric surgeon WITHIN your insurance. It's possible! Trisha in Glendale
Most Active