Still need Help

Kanani A.
on 5/6/04 3:44 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have to go my pcp on May 27th. I don't what to say to her about the surgery. How do I bring it up. I am very nervous if any body has any help to offer please I will take any advice . My surgery needs to be medicaly necsary which I feel it is. My current BMI is 44 and I have edma in my legs and GERD. I also am at risk for type 2 diabeties because my mother has it. I am wondering if that is enough.
Wendy T.
on 5/6/04 5:14 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Hi Kanani, Have you been seeing this PCP for quite awhile? I had just changed PCP's when I asked for a referral to a Bariatric Surgeon. I knew that this doctor had referred someone else I knew so I felt comfortable asking for it. If I might suggest explaining to your PCP that you have dieted for years, all kinds of diets and might lose a little but end up gaining it back and then some. Tell your PCP that you have been researching WLS and are interested in a consult with a bariatric surgeon. Then ask your PCP if they will arrange your referral to one. Do you know who you want to go to or who is covered by your insurance? I bet who ever it is will be in Phoenix. Most Bariatric Surgeons require that you attend a seminar before scheduling to see them. You might find out who is covered by your insurance and set up your seminar. I know the seminar I attended was free. I started my process in March (got my referral on March 26, 2003). I went to the seminarin April and couldn't get in for a consult until June 27, 2003. I was approved for surgery in August and told I was scheduled for surgery on FEb. 3, 2004. I could not believe the wait. I called about weekly asking if there had been any cancelations but they never did. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. Take Care, Wendy T.
C J.
on 5/11/04 6:01 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi, I wrote up my diet and weight loss history along with all my medical complaints....then I wrote a letter explaining what I wanted and why... at my appointment I gave the leters to the nurse to give to the doc to read. She read them before talking to me, came in and told me she wold be happy to give me a refferal. It was so easy...I was almost offended! I didn't have to argue or explain....Hmmmm... anyway good luck. CJ
Trisha
on 5/16/04 2:59 am - Glendale, AZ
I was nervous too thinking I'd have to defend myself or explain why I think I need it, but I didn't. I just asked her at the appointment if she'd refer me to a bariatric surgeon for a WLS consult. I said I tried dieting for years and nothing has worked, and she said ABSOLUTELY. The way she said it was like "I thought you'd never ask." LOL But she got the paperwork done for me and I had my referral within a week! Trisha in Glendale
Most Active