oops- I swallowed gum!

Lisa B.
on 4/19/04 1:49 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has ever accidentally swallowed gum post-op. I can remember at the teaching day they said it would not be a good thing if you swallowed it. Now I'm worried that I will have some problems. If anyone has any feedback for me I'd appreciate it. Lisa Bielat Dr. Juarez/ 11-17-03
jennifer A.
on 4/21/04 10:59 am - Glendale, Az
Hi! Only a problem if it gets stuck and you'll know it because you won't be able to keep anything down.
Lisa B.
on 4/22/04 6:37 am - Tucson, AZ
Jennifer, Thanks so much for your response. I felt silly posting this, but I was a little worried. So far I've had no problems and it's been since Monday so I think I'm out of the woods. I've been so careful I would hate for anything to go wrong now! Sincerely, Lisa B. Dr. Juarez/ 11-17-03
Helen S.
on 4/24/04 3:10 am - Phoenix, AZ
Lisa, I have to tell you, I read that and that 'what a ninny' - and then, yesterday afternoon - I actually did the same damn thing!!!!! I have been in a panic - so I went back to read responses to you. I can eat my mushy foods and drink, so I assume I am okay, but it sure scared the bejeebers out of me too! Hope you were equally lucky! Helen
jennifer A.
on 4/24/04 4:00 pm - Glendale, Az
Well, I'm glad you two are okay! lol Don't feel like a ninny.People accidently swallow their gum all the time and like I said, it's not a problem unless it gets stuck.But if it does get stuck you have to get an endoscopy.Basically, they stick a scope with a camera down your throat to retrieve the gum. Not pleasant, so I personally avoid the gum.
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/25/04 10:27 am - Prescott, AZ
My aunt had an endoscopy and she had swallowed gum. It ruined the lens of a $10,000+ camera they stuck down her throat. The docs tried to remove it from the lens and scratched the heck out of it. Sheryl
Most Active