Birthday Cake...

Matt M.
on 4/11/04 3:13 pm - Farmington, NM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about eating birthday cake. My birthday is April 16th. My surgery was 1-28-04. My wife is fixing angle food cake, a real weakness on my part . Last birthday I ate almost the whole thing in just a couple of days . I've been 100% true to my new life style and diet. I haven't had any bread carbs since my surgery. My biggest worry and using a metaphor is, falling off the wagon. I'm looking forward to your responses. Matt
Stephanie H.
on 4/12/04 5:08 am - St. Louis, MO
Matt... First let me say CONGRATS on your surgery and your dedication to your new life style! My son's birthday was 4 weeks after my surgery and I SO wanted to share in a little peice of cake with him. Its a tradition that I feed him a peice and he feeds me a peice... cute huh?? What I did was just eat a bite of the cake, NO FROSTING... I can honestly tell you that the ONE bite was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth AND be able to keep the tradition... You'll be fine! Just keep reminding yourself about your dedication and what you are getting out of "staying on the wagon" Happy early birthday to you! Mine was a few weeks ago.. I would say you are safe with a small peice but then right back on the program! How much have you lost so far and who was your surgeon?? HUGS, Steph Open RnY 9/27/2001 300/170/170 Dr Hilario Juarez
nucgirl97
on 4/12/04 8:12 am - Buckeye, AZ
Well on my Hubbys Birthday i got his cake from Walmart ( they make sugar free Cakes) and since he is diabetic it worked out great. Did not make the carbs go away but the No Sugar Added was a good idea to me.
tina0226
on 4/12/04 11:11 am - Greenwood, IN
If you don't think you can stick to just a bite or two, personally I would ask your wife not to make it for you and make something that you can have! It helps me to remember the long term goals I have in mind, and never in a million years do I want to gain back the weight I have lost. Happy Birthday! Tina
cindy
on 4/12/04 2:31 pm - Mesa, az
Hello Matt, instead of cake I have a great idea. I made a chocolate pie this year for Easter. A gram cracker crust (7carbs whole pie crust) (2 grams of sugar whole pie crust) sugar free chocolate pudding (0 sugar) and only 3 carbs per box, topped with cool whip and a s/f Herseys chocolate bar crushed sprinkled over the top. It was great tasting, you could even make a banana, or any s/f pudding flavor. Besides I was able to feel normal and have a piece of pie with my family, and I only had a very small sliver, but the point was I did have something that the whole family enjoyed. And, what else about this pie, if you 1 months or 1 year post-op, you can eat a slice. Keep up the good work, Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 -121 lbs
Wendy T.
on 4/14/04 7:38 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Hi Matt, Happy early Birthday April Babies are the Best!! Yeah for April I know they make sugar free angel food cake. I know this because my mother is diabetic and has purchased them before......around strawberry season She makes strawberry shortcakes with it. She uses the lite cool whip and sweetens the cut strawberries with splenda or equal.....It really is not . We have also done the Sugar Free Pudding Pies but with regular crust not gramcracker crusts....In my opinion, the pies come out better with the cook and serve sugar free pudding...it just doesn't seem to come out right with the instant. Another good dessert..not a cake though..... 1 box sugar free orange jello 1 small can manderian oranges 1 small can crushed pineapple 16 ounces cottage cheese 1 small bowl lite cool whip Drain the Fruit then mix it all together in a bowl....it is yummy. You can add more fruit if you like more or even use other jello flavors. So no need to fall off the wagon or horse....stay on and ride though your journey Take Care, Wendy T.
Most Active