self pay psych eval for under $500???

Sheryl Tilley
on 3/29/04 6:51 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi! Even though Barbara Maxwell seems to be the cheapest one, I am cancelling my app't with her. Seems her reviews in the psychologist section of this site are not that wonderful. And by the time she refers you off to more groups and psych 'help' it can be VERY costly. So now I'm looking around for cheaper and better psych help myself! I'm wondering though, since I am on Medicare and AP/IPA if I need that and if I do -- do I have to pay for it? SHeryl
nicnic
on 3/29/04 9:28 pm - mesa, az
Hi everyone! I ended up with an appointment with Dr.Messner who works out of the same office as Barbara Maxwell. I have testing set up for April 5th and then an appointment with the Dr. for evaluation on the 7th. Has anyone heard or seen Dr.Messner? My husband thinks he may have seen him when he had bypass 4 years ago with Dr.Zahn....but he's not sure he can't remember the name. I have my 2 pre-op appointments on April 3 & 10th with Dr.Simons office and then as soon as they get the psych eval I can get my surgery date. I don't know how long it takes them to get the report to the surgeons office....but I'm hoping not more than a couple of weeks. I just want to hurry and get my date so I can start making some plans! My next hurdle will be breaking the news here at work!! I was just off for 6 weeks in December for a hysterectomy.....they are going to love it when I tell them I'm going again!
Stephanie H.
on 3/29/04 10:34 pm - St. Louis, MO
Dr Messer is new.. he's only been there about a year MAYBE, and WHAT a cutie!! Definately eye candy! lol He's a very warm and caring doctor and I'm sure you'll love him. He's only about 30 yrs old. HOWEVER, IF you didn't go with Maxwell because of her referring out to other "binge eating counselors" remember that SHE trained Dr Messer and the same thing COULD happen. Good luck to you! Steph
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/1/04 8:33 am - Prescott, AZ
I cancelled Barbara Maxwell and they asked why. I told them that there is just too much negative stuff out there about her and I didn't want to deal with it. So I called Yavapai Guidance Clinic (I'm in Prescott) and they gave me the name of a psychiatrist/psychologist that does these and with my Medicare the cost will only be $29.53. SHeryl
Stephanie H.
on 4/3/04 12:01 am - St. Louis, MO
ROFL.... what did they say when you told them that there was too much negative stuff out there about Maxwell? I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one.. Steph 9/27/01 Open RnY Dr Juarez 300/170/170
Sheryl Tilley
on 4/4/04 10:04 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Steph! I told them that there is a lot of talk about how she gets you in for a cheap price and then refers you out for prices up to $800. The woman on the line didn't deny it and you know how you can tell how someone is smiling on the other end of the phone when they talk -- I felt that was happening. SHeryl
nicnic
on 4/2/04 6:21 am - mesa, az
My husband did some more phone calling around today, and I was able to get insurance to pay for the psych consult!! YEAH...I just saved $190!! I sure do appreciate all the great advice...I guess persistance pays off. I thought I was just going to have to pay the money. Anyways, I go for the appointment on the 8th and just need to wait for my date after that..I really hope it's soon! Nicola
Most Active