PLEASE -- COBRA HELP

EVETTE K.
on 3/19/04 4:17 pm - TUCSON, AZ
I was hoping I could get some advice. I recently left my place of employment and recieved from them in February the offer to continue my insurance by paying the COBRA premium within 60 days, I sent them the payment amount by certified mail, it was recieved by them the next day and cashed. I just recieved a letter from my insurance company that my policy terminated on March 1st - but I already paid the premium in full and on time for the month of March- my prior employer is telling me COBRA doesnt have record of my continuance- they claim they are researching the problem and will call me monday. My surgery is on April 16th and I am afraid of a delay of the problem being corrected and dont know what to do. They have to reinstate my insurance dont they? Does this affect my approval for the surgery - I am so scared - Please advise if you can Thank you Evette
Wendy T.
on 3/19/04 5:05 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Hi Evette, They should work everything out for you. I am sure it is just a mix up. Besides, with COBRA you have 60 days to decide if you want it..if you decide on the 58th day and send in the 2 months premium they have to go back and cover things. Just make sure that your premiums are there early. If it is due on the 2nd day of the month and they don't get it and have it posted by then, they can cancel you. I payed $498.00 for COBRA for me and my kids back in 2001. I had no choice but pay that as I was terminated while on medical leave and still had doctors appointments and possibly more surgery. I will say that everything was covered while I was on COBRA with no trouble at all. I don't think this will change your approval. You are not changing insurance. You are merely paying for it yourself with no help from your previous employer. Take Care, Wendy T.
EVETTE K.
on 3/20/04 5:47 am - TUCSON, AZ
Thank you Wendy your advice eases my worries I just hope they will get this straightened out ASAP. Thanks again. Evette
Stacey R.
on 3/22/04 1:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Evette, I don't really know much about COBRA, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there...we may be hospital mates too!! I'm scheduled for my surgery on April 16 also. I have Dr. Fang...in Dr. Juarez's office. Will you be having your surgery at St. Lukes?? Hang in there...everything will work out. Stacey
Most Active