had surgery last week -have a question

kathy S.
on 2/4/04 1:37 pm - tucson, az
I had surgery on the 29th of January and I had to stay a day extra due to internal bleeding but overall everything went well. My question is this, I am hungry most of the time --- how the heck can that be??? I am following the suggested guideline of getting a minimum of 70 grams of protein , no sugar, not eating anything not allowed on the full liquid diet that Dr. Juarez requires for 3 weeks. I am hungry and I feel like I can drink more than I should be able to of water. This really really worries me, any experience or advice on this? Anyone else out there have this happen. I have had no nausea, no vomiting, just some pain when standing, and getting in and out of bed so I know I am very fortunate, but I am always hungry I feel like Im on a normal diet again. pls help . Oh yes I am taking liquid centrum vitamins and calcium citrate also so I dont think its related to lack of vitamins
Arizona_Sun
on 2/4/04 10:38 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Try increasing your protein drinks to see if this helps. I also made some of my protein drinks with crushed ice because that added some body to them. I think our bodies go through adjustment phases between brain/stomach and we have this "head hunger" as I have heard it called. My surgery was Dec 8 and I have some days where I feel I am very hungry and days when I am not. Like you, I have never had a problem getting in a lot of fluid and am most grateful for that. I would recommend that you drink Propel SF sports drink as part of your liquids. I started having some electrolyte problems and it was just because I was only drinking water, protein shakes and not getting some of the other stuff that is in a sports drink. Sandra down at least 33.5 pounds, plus 15.5 fluid from surgery
Tamara T.
on 2/5/04 3:23 am - Claypool, AZ
Kathy, I had my surgery on the 8th of January. My Dr. did not recommend the protein shakes and after 5 days went to a soft diet. Cottage cheese yogurt, tuna, chicken, refried beans. I went through the hungry stage at first. I truely believe that it is the "head hungry" I am still adjusting to my head and stomach getting onto the same track. It is getting better though. Just try and ride it out sweetie. email me anytime if you just need to talk. Tammy Lap RNY 1/8/04
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/04 11:58 am - El Mirage, AZ
Respectfully, DAMN, I just have to say, I am SOOOO glad I didn't have to do 3 weeks of liquids. 5 days was quite enough. By the time I could eat soft foods (Tamara had the same Bariatric Center & I believe, Surgeon), cottage cheese never TASTED so good. I was in HEAVEN. I'm not implying you should bend the rules..but I would go along with the increasing of protein if you can. Good luck to you!! BTW, commercials SUCK...LOL. (McDonalds, Arby's, etc) ~Michelle post op 11/21
Arizona_Sun
on 2/5/04 11:44 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I had to do five weeks of fluids before I could do my one week of soft foods and then regular foods. I actually did not have a problem with it and did not suffer much from hunger as I did plenty of protein drinks. Let's see, on day seven I went to full liquids for two weeks, then pureed for two weeks, then the one week of soft. Sandra
baybekmbrly
on 2/10/04 10:24 pm - SomeWhere, NY
When you start eating more solid type food you will definitely feel full and feel a big difference.. Liquids go right through our pouch.. It could also be like the other poster said "head hunger"... I didn't stick to my Dr.s plan... I think I was suppose to be on liquids for 4 wks and then to puree foods then soft then soilds... By 2wks post-op I was already eating soft foods... I told my surgeon and he said as I am eating healthy it's fine.... Once you get past this stage it will get better and better.. Just hang in there.... Also all surgeons are different.. Some allow soild foods by 2 weeks if not earlier... So when I saw how different everyones opinions were I just decided to listen to my body.. Take Care Open RNY 9/2/03 102lbs Down! 272/170/135
Arizona_Sun
on 2/11/04 9:51 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I have another theory about this feeling of hunger that we sometimes get. I went through that last week and I started to think about it and realized that it began when I stopped taking my a.m. dose of Pepcid AC (I was just taking it at night). So, I went back to the a.m. dose and the feeling of hunger has pretty much disappeared. In my case, I was also aching through to my back about the middle of the day too. That is also much improved. Sandra
Most Active