CURIOUS ABOUT A BIG LOSS

Dennis W.
on 1/25/04 8:08 am - Dewey, Az
I wuz just wunder'n about how much and how quick people have lost weight with the surgery. I have a friend up her in the Prescott area that had surgery the first week in September and at the 3 month mark had officially lost 130lbs. His RNY surgery was done at the WISH Center and his doctor says he's as healthy as a horse. Now, I've got to admit that he's a pretty big boy but still he's really doing so well. I've never heard about this quick of a loss. Even with my upcoming DS, I would expect to loss near that, though I am somewhat smaller than my friend.
tina0226
on 1/25/04 9:49 am - Greenwood, IN
Dr. Zahn, my doctor, said to he wants us to lost about 15 pounds per month. The first 5-6 months the weight just falls off and even at a faster rate, after that it is all up hill! I am 5 months out and I am at 75 pounds lost. Remember the more you have to lose the faster it will come off! Good luck!
Dennis W.
on 1/25/04 9:57 am - Dewey, Az
OUCH! BIG TYPO in my first post. I would NOT expect to lose as much weight as fast as my friend did. I was really wondering if there are many out there that have had a weight loss similar to his. My first impression of his loss was "way too quick", but like I said, his surgeon is VERY happy with his progress and health. If I'm able to lose near that in 6-9 months, I'd be thrilled but not disappointed if it wasn't quite that.
Tamara T.
on 1/25/04 9:01 pm - Claypool, AZ
Dennis, what I have found out is that the larger you are the faster you lose. Thanks, Tammy
suzcar51
on 1/25/04 11:54 pm - Somewhere in, AZ
Dennis, as was previously stated, the more you have to lose the more comes off quickly. My doc said after 6 months they feel a 10 lb. a month loss is fantastic. My problem is I wanted it to continue for a year so I could get to goal faster. But any more than 10 a month wouldn't be healthly. Even Weigh****chers believes that. By losing slower I can wear clothes longer before they go in the 'give away' box. Still looking forward to goal so I can replace my wardrobe. I have ALOT of hangers now in the closet.
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/04 11:24 am - El Mirage, AZ
Well, I was somewhat of a "light weight". (HA HA, in my eyes anyhow) I needed to lose 97 pounds, have lost 32 as of my 2 month check up, and have 65 more to go. This month I "only" lost 12 pounds. That was how I saw it at FIRST...until he showed me how much body fat I had lost....In a month, I lost 2.4% of my body fat. That's from working out 4 days/week @ Curves. Then, that "small" 12 pound loss didn't seem so low. We are human...we LOVE to compare! I know I still do this....with other people, with other diets I was on. I just need to realize and settle into the fact that like Randy the nurse said, "It WILL come off!! It has no CHOICE but to NOT come off" Plus, my body is more toned. I'll take it!! ~Michelle post op 11/21
Arizona_Sun
on 1/26/04 10:02 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I wonder if there is any difference between how fast a man loses weight vs a woman losing weight with the surgery? Also, the heavier the faster makes sense to me as well. I suspect that if we look at percentages of the total weight to lose we would probably find the heavy weights and the light weights losing at the same rate or close to. I have lost 31 pounds in six weeks. I am seven weeks out from surgery, but the first week was taken up with losing the 15 1/2 pounds of fluids that they pumped into me. I am also a light weight and have lost 21% of my total weight to lose (my ideal goal of losing 145 pounds). Sandra
Jackie B.
on 2/1/04 5:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
Dennis: I am 4 months out and have lost 75 lbs. I only have 48 more to go! As stated by everyone, people vary and we are not supposed to compare. We cannot help our nature though, LOL. I have an updated picture coming out soon and can't wait. The difference is amazing. It makes all this very much worth it! Jackie
Most Active