Can anyone answer my question?

Matt M.
on 1/5/04 8:42 am - Farmington, NM
HI all, I've got a question I was hoping someone could answer. I'm having surgery on January 28th. The day I get out of the hospital does anyone think I will be able to drive myself from Phoenix down to Tucson? Will they even let me do that? I'm not sure if my surgery will be open or endoscopic. My mom is in Tucson and I live in New Mexico. My wife and minor kids won't be able to come...My mom is elderly and can't drive but she is going to let me stay with her for 1st two weeks after surgery to make it easer to get back to Dr Blackstone's office in case of complications and to make it easier to make my post op classes. Looking forward to your replies. Matt
Tammy F.
on 1/5/04 10:11 am - Fishers, IN
Hi Matt, I had open RNY and I did not drive for two weeks. Between the soreness of the incision and the fact that I was dizzy most of the time due to the drastic reduction in calories, I wouldn't have even attempted to drive during those two weeks. You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not you are up to it but that was my experience for what it's worth. How about checking out the airport shuttle thing that runs between here and Tucson? If you haven't already checked into that, maybe it would be an alternative. Good luck! Tammy
Matt M.
on 1/5/04 11:35 am - Farmington, NM
Thanks for answering me. I will check into the shuttle. That might have to be the way I go. Thanks again. Matt
Jessmac
on 1/5/04 11:38 am - Phoenix, AZ
I could have driven myself 100 miles, (RNY 11/10/03), but it would have taken a great deal of fortitude. I am however, a very fast healer (for instance, I was back at work within a week and a half of surgery.) A lot depends on how your surgery goes too. I was lucky that all went well, but you'll be gambling a bit on that front. The fortitude comes in with the pain level. You can't be in control of a vehicle with any pain meds in your system, so by the time you get there, you will be in some pain, from braking and turning, etc. Really, just getting in and out of the car is an experience. Oh, and forget about wearing a seat belt! If, by say January 18th or so, you still have this problem, email me and I can see about getting that day off work and driving you home. It is the least I can do for a fellow SBC postie. Best of luck!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/04 12:06 pm - El Mirage, AZ
umm. I probably wouldn't. I didn't have a lot of pain, and I didn't take ANY meds once I left the hospital, but DANG those pot holes and speed humps didn't feel so good. Seat belt never bothered me. I sure didn't relish the thought of driving for my post op class 5 days later, but I did, on my own. Still, that's only a 45 minutes trek for me, and not like yours, going to Tucson. I know Patti, from Tucson, stayed in a hotel. Good luck to you...I'm sure you get a wealth of info here! ~Michelle
Most Active