food and what things to eat?

MIA N.
on 1/4/04 11:36 am - VAIL, AZ
hello there everyone, this site is so great!!!, i just wanted to know if anyone can give me suggestions on what to eat or things that anyone has tried. i know i will be taking that nutritional class the tuesday before my surgery, but i was hoping to start getting stuff now, so after surgery i don't have to worry about it, or have to cram it all in the two days before surgery, am i making any sense to anyone?... when i get home from surgery i want to recover well and not have to worry that i don't have all of the things i need. i did take sandra's advice and i got a pill crusher and spliter already. and what kind of protein drinks should i get? thank you for all of the advice that everyone is giving, just alittle over 4 weeks until surgery, and i am so nervous, sometimes thinking about it and talking about it i start to cry... and when i hear about anyone losing weight, either with or without WLS, i cry because i am so happy for them and i think, gee that will be me soon.. take care and good luck to everyone!!! Mia Vail/Az
tina0226
on 1/4/04 12:48 pm - Greenwood, IN
Sugar free jello and sugar free pudding was so helpful for me. I got those little plastic cups with lids (they were 2oz) and made them the night before my surgery so I didn't have to worry about making it when I got home. Cream of Chicken was good too! Tina
jennifer A.
on 1/4/04 2:59 pm - Glendale, Az
Hi! Before my surgery I stocked up on a ton of things and most of it never even got used becauses my taste buds changed after surgery. The protein shakes that I liked and bought before surgery tasted bad to me after and even water tasted funny to me for awhile....I did use alot of propel,sugarfree popsicles and peppermint tea. The canned broth tasted nasty so I ended up buying regular soup and strained the broth out of it. Having some gas x on hand was the best advice that I had recieved. I had such painful gas from having the surgery done lap that I went through about two boxes the first week.
Arizona_Sun
on 1/4/04 11:15 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I have been very lucky because my tastes did not change with surgery. I was expecting that to happen, but am very grateful it did not. I really like the Champion Pure Whey Stack in chocolate and vanilla from vitalady.com. You can get 34.5 gm of protein from 1 1/2 scoops in 6-8 ounces of water. It is a regular in my daily diet. You can also order samples of various flavors from Vitalady so that you have them to try post-surgery to learn what you do and do not like. I recommend a good blender and even a back up blender if getting out will be difficult for you post-surgery. I use mine a lot and have a back up in the cupboard just in case the current one gets tired of crushing ice. Tupperware.com has some great shaker cups (I think they are under their traditional products area) - I like them best of any that I have seen and use mine for when I am doing a shake without ice. Vitalady carries a supply of various vitamins that will dissolve easily for those of us with little pouches. I am using Centrum chewables until I am past my healing period and will then go to the capsules. Nice thing about the capsules is that if you prefer you can open and dump into a shake. I am doing that with my calcium citrate now (that is why I use crush ice with at least two shakes a day - keeps the supplement from sinking to the bottom). One of the things that I have run through my blender for the full liquid stage is soup. You will need a fine mesh strainer to run it through after the blender for this stage. Nothing tastes better than the soup after all the sweet protein drinks. Blue Bunny Yogurt 85 was something on my acceptable list - without any chunks. The sugar free popsicles are WONDERFUL and probably will be a part of my regular diet because they are a 15 calorie treat when I have the munchies. Hope this helps. Sandra
Most Active