I need some advice

Tamara S.
on 12/31/03 6:09 am - mesa, az
I am in the starting stage of the whole process and I am getting nervous. My sister went through the surgery in July 03 and she looks great. I didn't even recongnize her when I went back home. She is the one that has helped me come to the decission that I should have this done. The only problem that I have is my PCP. They have told me to call the Wish center and talked to my insurance company and they said that I don't need a referral but when it comes down to it, I really don't think my PCP will help me with it. He says that I don't need it and there is other ways of losing weight. He wants me to try diet pills with phen phen. So I need help with finding out how to do this whole thing. I have talked to the insurance company and they said that if it is medically they will cover it (benifits of husband being miiltary) YEAH Someone please help. Tamara
Tammy F.
on 12/31/03 6:30 am - Fishers, IN
Hi Tamara, If you feel your PCP will not be supportive then my advice is that you need to find a PCP who will be. There is enough to deal with in having WLS done in general so the last thing you need to deal with is a PCP who is not supportive. Have you already decided on The Wish Center as your WLS program? If so, or whichever WLS program/surgeon you choose, ask them who they might recommend as a PCP because your current one is not supportive. I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you which PCP's have worked well with them. Or perhaps there is someone who is a member here who is in Tucson and can recommend someone to you there. Good luck! Tammy
Tamara S.
on 12/31/03 7:23 am - mesa, az
Tammy I have searched out Dr. Nicholas Metzger in Tucson. I am in Mesa but I am willing to travel to a Doctor that I feel comfortable with and after talking to his office I feel that I have found the Doctor that I want to work with. I will contact them and see if they have any suggestions. The one good thing is I can go anywhere with my insurance and not have to worry. Thank you for your advice. Tami
Tammy F.
on 1/1/04 12:10 am - Fishers, IN
Hi Tami, I just realized you're in Mesa not Tucson. Duh! Anyway I think you got the point of my message. Good luck! Tammy
Vicky H A.
on 1/7/04 1:33 am - Maricopa, AZ
I just read your message. You might want to try Dr. Michael Tingey in Mesa. He is very supportive of gastric bypass. I think he has relatives that had the surgery. He is on Southern just west of Dobson. Vicky
joyful516
on 1/12/04 7:34 am - Gilbert, AZ
As you said in you writing, you do not need a referral from your PCP. I did not need mine to help. The Wish Center filed everything. I gathered all the stuff they needed. So far, I haven't even mentioned it to my PCP, why complicate the situation. As for medically necessary, the surgeon at the Wish Center can document and build a case for anything you might need to prove that it is medically necessary. Check your BMI and note what health problems you have as a result of being over weight and there is all the case you need. If you feel that you need a PCP for support they (THE WIsh Center) can refer one that works well with them. Have your records copied and sent to whomever you choose. Military insurance is some of the best. Take advantage of the situation if you are truely serious.
Most Active