ABDOMINAL BELTS?? CAN WE USE THEM

MIA N.
on 12/31/03 1:09 am - VAIL, AZ
HELLO AGAIN, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND INFORMATION THAT EVERYONE HAS GIVEN ME. BUT I DO HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, DO THEY LET YOU USE AN ABDOMINAL BELT AFTER SURGERY?, WHEN I HAD MY HERNIA SURGERY I USED ONE AND IT HELPED SO MUCH WITH THE PAIN, (ALMOST NONE), AND GETTING UP AND DOWN. I KNOW PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED USING A PILLOW, SO I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE BELT THING. HAPPY NEW YEAR AND EVERYONE BE SAFE. TALK WITH YA NEXT YEAR- HA-HA MIA
Tammy F.
on 12/31/03 3:00 am - Fishers, IN
Hi Mia, They gave me one while I was in the hospital. They put it on not too long after surgery while I was still in ICU. I called it my "girdle" and I used it PLUS a pillow to get up and down for the first week or so... It was extremely helpful! I've heard, have no idea whether this is true or not though, that using the belt does help reduce the chances of your scar becoming keloid. My scar has not gone keloid thank goodness and with multiple applications of Maderma, it's actually lightening up already! Good luck to you and happy new year! Tammy p.s. I don't know what side of town you're on but please consider joining us at the Far West Valley Support Group meeting on Friday, 1/9! We'll be meeting at the Denny's in Goodyear (I-10 and Litchfield Rd) at 6pm. Since you're pre-op it would be a great opportunity to meet a bunch of us who are already post-op!
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/03 10:21 am - El Mirage, AZ
Dr. Blackstone and Dr. Doxey don't use or "prescribe" them. Its good for your abdominal wall to be supported my YOU and not a binder. If you are going to sneeze or cough, use a pillow. Honestly, if you have LAP...you'll be fine. Honestly I had such little pain, I had the nurses REMINDING ME: "You know you have pain medication hooked up to that IV...all you have to do is push that button". YES...I know...a PCA pump, I don't NEED it. LOL ~Michelle
Most Active