Home again, Home again

Jackie B.
on 12/9/03 2:15 am - Phoenix, AZ
Well, I am back amoung the living, literally. My second surgery was not the piece of cake the first one was and I even visited ICU for a couple of days during my hospital visit. My pulse rate was apparently way too high. I don't remember much except nausea, nausea, nausea. I lived for when I got my nausea injection and learned that the demarol (sp?) with it actually made me feel nause free for an hour or two. The medication was supposed to last 6 hours. HA! I had my nice suite the first visit to Scottsdale Shea. The next 3 visits I had 3 much smaller and not so nice rooms on the 4th floor. I told my husband I was afraid I was going to see them all before I got better! NOOOOOOOOO I had a pic line infection to top things off and they moved it to the other arm. A pic line for those that don't know is what I call a glorified IV. The difference is they totally sanitize your arm and themselves, wear a mask and insert the line directly into your main artery in your arm. It is a bloody messy procedure. Needless to say, the poor ICU nurses had to do battle with me when they told me they were going to put the second pic line in even when they promised the nurse that would do this one was very, very good. Looking back, I feel ashamed at my behavior. I felt (and acted) like a child going to get a horrible, painful, shot. I blame it on the drugs. The second experience was a piece of cake and just shows the difference caring and compassion in a nurse can make. Anyway, I mention the pic line because it went in so I could administer to myself, IV antibiotics. The first time the home health care nurse said I would be doing this MYSELF I was in a fit of panic. She was very patient and trained me well. I have to insert a flush in my IV line, then the antibiotic and then flu**** again. Every time I tried to get the air out of my syringe and the fluid to the top before flushing, I would send half of it spraying across the room. I am proud to say I have finally managed the tecnique and feel like a pro at doing my IV. I take the antibiotic twice a day and there is the rub. It is a really powerful one and THAT is what is causing the nausea. I see my infectious disease doctor the 17th and hope and pray the infection is gone so I can get rid of the pic line and the antibiotic! Back to the hospital - Thanksgiving Day I woke up to the smell of cooking turkey in the hospital and it only made my nausea worse. I could of stayed another day, but I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Since then, I still have not been well enough to even look at turkey or chicken. I am forcing down yogert and cottage cheese. Each day is getting a little easier and I even had beans added yesterday. Variety! I am still to nautious to drink much water except for my medication, so I am on a fluid IV at night. Walking is unsteady, but I am working in a little more each day. The up side of this is that since September 26th, I have lost a little over 50 lbs. Jackie
Tanya T.
on 12/9/03 4:13 am - mesa, az
Jackie, I am glad to hear that you are on your way to the healed side! We have been praying for you. Tanya T
Jessmac
on 12/9/03 4:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
Oh honey, you have been through it all! I so hope you're on the road to full recovery. Your courage shows in your writing, so don't you worry a bit about complaining once. Heck, in your shoes, I'd be one big ol' baby!
Tamara T.
on 12/10/03 1:54 am - Claypool, AZ
Well My Friend, I think it is just about time to get on back amongst the rest of us here. You know that office can't function properly without you. All kidding aside hun, I am so very glad that you are doing better. Please keep me posted as to how you are doing. Your Angel, Tammy
Jackie B.
on 12/10/03 2:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Tammy, Tell me about it! I stopped by work after my doctor's visit with my doctor's note. My boss loaded me up with stuff to telecommute with if I got to feeling like it. I am anxious to get back because I am a workaholic, so this staying home to take care of myself is EXTREMELY difficult. How is Miss Kay doing? You can e-mail me at my [email protected] address on this one. And lastly, thank you so much for being such a wonderful, wonderful angel! Jackie
Most Active