I'm home

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/03 9:04 am - El Mirage, AZ
HI all, Brrr! I AM FREEZING! (Funny, having the house cool before I left felt good, now my hands are like ICE) Surgery went well, and easily. Melissa said they could have had me done in 45 minutes, as my "anatomy was perfect". (I should HOPE so) Surgery took an hour. I woke up feeling a bit sore, but not bad. The thing that sucked, mostly for Mark is, my surgery was @ 9:45, I didn't get in my room until 5:45 p, that NIGHT. (No rooms avail.) So they wouldn't let Mark come back in the post op area. (for what reason, I have NO idea) All I remember is the anethesiologist giving me my "****tail", getting a huge head rush traveling down the hall on a gurney, (seeing lights, lights, lights, lights, LOL) and then moving my body over to the operating table. It was freezing cold in there. (They keep it cold so the surgeons don't roast) And after that, I woke up in post op. It felt like a lot of pressure, and I def. could feel myself tensing my tummy muscles, which made it hurt more. So I tried real hard to relax. I was also a bit panicked, temporarily because I couldn't get the big breaths like I wanted and need to. I quickly talked myself down on that fear. I tried to walk every hour, and worked on my incentive spirometer also. (Prob. not as much as I should have, but the walking helped) I was awful glad to have my Foley out the next day. Today, before I came home, they removed all my staples and drains. Damn, was I glad to get that ONE out. (JP drain, I think it is. It's a big bulbousd thing that always, without fail, ended up in my CROTCH!!) It came out of my right side, but INSIDE me, it was clear over to my left side. What an odd feeling THAT was, when it came out, but I swear, I could breathe SO much better. Then of course, loosing that damn IV. Toradol (Painkiller) tends to sting like HELL going into your vein, and I'm also glad to be past the Heparin shots (Blood thinner) as they also stung. And instinct tells you to rub what hurts...well, not with THAT shot. You can't. It'll bruise you and you'll get scolded! They forget to give me most all my meals. (I had ONE, my entire stay) They only remembered because I asked "shouldn't I be trying some broth or Jello"? I was hungry, but thought I should get more in me than just ice chips) Also went nearly a full night without the "squeezy things" on my legs, to prevent blood clots. I didn't care about the broth, but really didn't want a blood clot. They finally got them up to my room after midnight, I think. Anyhow...I feel sore, but fine. The gas sucks. Tried to fill my liquid Demerol @ Walgreens and ALL the local stores are out. (peachy) So, I went to take my liquid Tylenol, and neglected to tell Mark to buy sugar-free. Well, I took one capful, and quickly realized it was VERY sugary. Hope to hell I don't get sick. (I didn't) Mark was kinda grumpy towards me today. This whole surgery experience wasn't a good one for him. (waiting all that time post surgery, and then when it came time to leave, the "transport" down in a wheel chair would be 20 minutes. I told the nurse, "forget it, I'll walk". Otherwise, I think Mark would have went ballistic. Mark was NOT impressed. (He also had to work today, so I know that was on his mind) I just didn't need his frustrations vented towards me. This will be interesting as (I'm sorry guys) but not ALL men are nuterers. Mark can kinda be a "suck it up., buttercup" kind of guy sometimes. I surely don't need that. I'll write more another time Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/03 9:12 am - El Mirage, AZ
OOPS, I meant I WASN'T hungry
sandi
on 11/23/03 12:20 pm - bowie, MD
Hi Michelle, I am glad you are home and doing well. I will be anxious to see how you do in the weeks to come. We are the same bmi. My surgery is Dec 4th. Tomorrow I go for all of my pre-op testing. I was looking at your profile. I use to live in Eau Claire too. Well get some good sleep, talk to you again. Sandi
cindy
on 11/23/03 2:01 pm - Mesa, az
Welcome home, and welcome to the losing side......I do not think that they make s/f liquid tyernol, I could not find any. I took some of the adult liquid tyernol and thought that I would dump, but lucky me did not. Remember to get your protein everyday, the protein is what will help you heal faster, and don't forget your water. I am so happy that your surgery was good, and I am sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery. cindy
Arizona_Sun
on 11/23/03 10:53 pm - Gilbert, AZ
It is great to have you home and online!! Was your RNY a lap or open? Mine will be an open. What hospital? The treatment seems to definitely be lacking and that is not right considering what they charge for it. Sandra
Shrinking F.
on 11/24/03 12:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
Welcome home and congratulations!! Keep us posted on your progress. Y'all are such an inspiration for me. KL
Heather S.
on 11/24/03 1:13 am - Surprise, AZ
Glad to hear that you are home and recovering well. Congratulations on making it to the other side. 280/154/140 Best Wishes,
Tamara T.
on 11/24/03 11:20 pm - Claypool, AZ
Well now I know more of what I have to look forward to. Oh goody I am so very glad that you are doing well. Keep us informed. Tammy
Barbara D.
on 11/25/03 7:17 am - somewhere over the rainbow, az
Hi Michelle, glad to see you home and doing well. As we speak, I just got off the phone with Pat at my surgeon's office. It does not look like I will get to have my surgery next week. Bummer. All due to being on aspirin once a day. Anywho, best wishes to you and congrats on joining the loosers.
marmijo
on 11/25/03 10:49 am - NM
I'm happy your home, keep us posted. I have enjoyed your postings. You are an inspiration.
Most Active