Eating anything = nausea

Patty P.
on 11/15/03 7:12 am - PHOENIX, AZ
My wife Patty had her WLS way back on July 23rd, and has lost about 75 pounds, but she has, of late, been unable to eat more than a bite of literally ANY food without feeling nauseous. For protein, she is drinking (slowly) two Designer Protein shakes a day, but, other than that, she has trouble with food. If anyone has experienced similar distress, please help. Thank you, Shell, Patty's husband
Patti H.
on 11/15/03 11:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Shell, I think that's serious! I've heard that as we heal, there gets to be stages where difficulties arise again. HOWEVER, Call the doctor. I've heard the advice given to get more liquids in... Please keep us posted! Patti 8 days postop
Arizona_Sun
on 11/16/03 12:20 am - Gilbert, AZ
It definitely sounds like she needs to contact her surgeon and rule out a stricture or other serious problem. She might need to be scoped to make sure that everything is working as intended. I am still pre-surgery, but this is something that I have learned over a period of time following the boards and being on various WLS groups. I hope it helps. Good luck. Sandra
Patty P.
on 11/16/03 11:19 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi, again -- Patty actually had an endoscopy back in August, and a stricture was ruled out at that time; she does get plenty of fluids from the two protein shakes, as well as numerous glasses of water. She managed to eat okay over the weekend, without feeling any nausea. Thanks again, Shell, Patty's husband
Tanya T.
on 11/18/03 4:18 am - mesa, az
Shell & Patty, Glad to hear that Patty had a better weekend. I am now 3 1/2 weeks out and I tried a protein shake today and threw-up. Yuck! I will have to give it a go again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Tanya T
Patty P.
on 11/18/03 7:12 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Tanya -- Patty was drinking chocolate Instant Breakfast (sugarless variety) the first few weeks after her surgery, but she didn't care for the taste (personally, I LOVE Instant Breakfast), so it was not long before she started drinking the "Designer Protein" shakes, which I think taste nasty. I hope that you are able to find a protein source that agrees with you. Cheers, Shell
Most Active