Protein drinks

Patty P.
on 10/8/03 7:23 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi again -- My wife (that would be Patty, me being Shell, her husband) has been choking down chocolate protein drinks ever since she had her WLS, way back in July; the thing is, she hates 'em, thinking them too sweet, as she was never fond of sweets to begin with. Are there any protein drinks out there that don't have a sickly-sweet taste ? I'd be keen to find out, so that we could switch her to something that doesn't make her gag when she drinks it . Thanks, Shell
Arizona_Sun
on 10/8/03 12:09 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I am still pre-surgery, but I have ordered some samples of various drinks from http://www.wlssuccess.com/champion1.htm because I thought they would give me an idea about what I do and do not like. Naturally I am going to wait until after my surgery to actually try them since I have heard that our tastes will change. But, you might check out some of the various sites and see which ones offer sample packs in serving size. I tend to think that would be the best way to narrow down some tastes. The product arrived fairly quickly too and each sample is individually packed in a plastic bag serving size. Sandra
tina0226
on 10/8/03 2:22 pm - Greenwood, IN
I am not sure what she is drinking but what I do is: 2 packs of carnation instant breakfast (no sugar added) 1 1/3 cup of non fat powder milk 32 oz of milk It's been the best I have tried so far and I tried nearly every brand that Hi-health sales before my surgery. Hope this helps! Oh this drink gives you (if I remember correctly) 70-80 grams of protein.
kathy S.
on 10/8/03 2:59 pm - tucson, az
Tina I'm wondering do you know how many carbs are in that drink the way you mix it??? The protein sounds great but Im wondering how many carbs it has???
tina0226
on 10/9/03 12:22 pm - Greenwood, IN
The instant breakfast has 12 per serving and so does the milk. I am not sure about the powder milk. This is what they give you in the hospital.
cindy
on 10/8/03 4:18 pm - Mesa, az
I do not like the sweet protein drinks either. I get EAS Metroplex, the one with the light silver front is low in sugar and carbs, be sure to check the label, because they have the same brand that has alot of sugar, and has 20 gms of protein in a 11 oz container. I stay away from the chocolate, but really love the Strawberry Cream and Strawberry Banana. I sometimes get the Vanilla Cream and French Vanilla. You can find them at Hi Health, Walmart, Frys and just about everywhere. They run about $5 or $6 dollars for 4 protein shakes, but they are not the thick sweet protein shake like alot of others.
jennifer A.
on 10/8/03 5:02 pm - Glendale, Az
I had a really hard time finding a protein shake because they all tasted to sweet to me too....After trying about 20 different kinds I an happily using Proscore 100 chocolate flavor.It's not overly sweet and it tastes good. The only problem is that I haven't been able to find it anywhere but online....You can get samples of it and buy it from www.vitalady.com
Most Active