ER-STRANGER THAN FICTION

Jackie B.
on 10/4/03 12:01 pm - Phoenix, AZ
The surgery didn't turn out to be really easy for me after all. I was one of those "exceptions." Monday evening, after coming home from the hospital and still feeling fine, I suddenly got nauseous and got rid of any fluid I had taken in. Dann and I got up Tuesday to go to the post-op seminar. I was still feeling sick to my stomach, so I didn't eat anything and carefully sipped some water. I made it at the seminar till 11:00. I ran to the bathroom and got violently sick to my stomach and had dry heaves afterward. I asked Dann to call my doctor for me. The doctor told me to come on over. We had to go out in the hot Arizona heat and drive the short distance to his office, walk to it which meant taking an elevator and going across a building crossover bridge. It seemed the walk of an eternity because I was feeling so ill. I explained how my outtake was more than my intake. Dr. Doxey looked at my stomach and saw that the hernia area was getting red, so it was infected (I had a hernia repair the same time I had my bypass done). He gave me some antibiotics for the infection and suppositories for the nausea. I went home and got ill again. I then took the antibiotic carefully and used the suppositories and tried to sleep. Within the hour I had gotten rid of both of the antibiotic and suppository. I thought I would rest some and see if I would be in better shape to try later. It didn't work. By 4:30 in the evening, Dann talked me into calling the doctor. By then, even I knew I was in serious trouble. Dr. Doxey got back with me and told me to go to the ER. We spent FOREVER in ER, but eventually the doctor saw me and the minute he saw my stomach, he said we were going nowhere, I was going to be admitted. Apparently by then, the hernia was apple read and the red has spread in an area past the hernia. Then the correspondence between the ER doctor and my doctor began. First I was stabbed several times before the tech was able to draw my blood. While waiting for her to try and find a vein, in the room next to us we heard this guy telling a story on how his cat wet on his bed. The young lady who was trying to find a vein rolled her eyes and told us that guy was a fellow lab tech and told the same story to EVERYONE. This peaked our interest since we were bored to tears anyway so we listed. The man said to punish his cat; he took it to the bathroom, threw her in the tub and peed all over the cat. THIS IS A HOSPITAL EMPLOYEE talking. The man was actually proud of what he did. That isn't all. He then went on to say that one time his dog had bitten him (I wonder why?) and to punish the dog, he bit the dog on his ear until he drew blood. Even the guy on the other side chuckling at the cat story got a little horrified over this one. I must have been weak because I didn't say out loud to the crazy person how I felt about him. My young lady jumped up suddenly and took everything with her. I thought she was done but it turned out she went to get someone else to do it for her because after several stabbings, she could not get all the blood needed. My one good vein had the IV in it. I had been so out of it, I didn't even notice or I would of stopped them. They sent me to x-ray for a chest x-ray. ER doctor sent the x-rays electronically through the computer to my doctor. Then a cheerful guy who introduced himself as my Vampire (I am serious) came in and took my blood after much more jabbing and sticking. He was able to fake it until he made it. I was sent to x-ray AGAIN for stomach x-rays (why didn't they do it all at once)? Again, ER doc sent electronically to my doc. By then, I felt like I wanted to scream at them. Finally, they hung an antibiotic IV and took me to my room. I was going to have to go to intensive care because that was the only place they had a bed. The nurses in ICU were in a titter and all at a loss because the normally didn't get patients who could get up and go to the bathroom. They finally did give me use of the toilet in there with two different measuring containers in it. Actually, it was a good thing God put me in ICU because I was in very bad shape and they gave expert care. The bad part was there was no privacy except for a tiny curtain and my door was kept open so I heard everything including one very annoying and when I tuned in, interesting group discussion that broke up after a couple of doctor's arrived I made it through the night and next day by sleeping and keeping drugged up at much as possible. They had promised to move me downstairs Wednesday (they had a room for me) but it never happened. The nurses were frustrated because they could not get my temperature to move from 100.5. I was frustrated because I was still in ICU and even worse, I wasn't feeling any better. Thursday morning the nurse found me in the bathroom (like I said, no privacy) crying my eyes out. It finally occurred to me I hadn't taken an antidepressant pill since Monday. The nurses worked on getting that accomplished and I listed to this woman screaming that they were hurting her and to get her out of there and on and on and on. I asked about the poor woman and the nurse said she was going thorough drug withdrawal and it was going to be a long day in ICU. I cried some more. I wanted out of ICU. My doctor promised they had me a room downstairs, again. The dear nurses in ICU were not taking any chances this time. One called down and got the room number and did a report over the phone. They told the ICU nurses they would call back when the room was ready but we had heard that the day before. The nurses took me down and deposited me by the door of the room they were cleaning. One stayed there until I was safely tucked into bed in the new room. The new room was small and not one of the suites, but at least it wasn't ICU. I was feeling optimistic because my temperature had been normal that morning. That was not to last. I had good care with the day shift but lousy care with the night shift. I could barely understand my male nurse and he would always forget to come back and give me the shot he was supposed to, etc. etc. Friday morning came and I was still having a temperature, but apparently CIGNA has a three-day max on hospital stays or something, because I was discharged. We left after my last IV antibiotic dose. I was sent home with nausea medication and after reminding them, a decent antibiotic. I follow-up with Dr Doxey next Tuesday after I attend the part of the post-op classes I had missed. I must admit, it is good to be home. I survived the day on soft protein and no nausea. I still have a 100.6 temperature, however. I weighed in before leaving. My first week out I have lost 15 pounds. I lost them the hard way. Thanks one and all for your thoughts and prayers. Jackie
tina0226
on 10/4/03 2:48 pm - Greenwood, IN
I hope you are feeling better soon!! At least you lost 15 pounds, but I know you did it the hard way. I am sure you will be back to yourself in no time.
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/03 7:17 am - El Mirage, AZ
Jackie, I hope you get to feeling better soon. It sure didn't sound like a "picnic" to me, you poor lady. Take care of yourself...I'm glad you listened to your body and saught help. I'll keep you in my prayers! ~Michelle
Donna M.
on 10/5/03 2:07 pm - Avondale, AZ
Dear Jackie... What a time you had...you poor thing...I do hope your feeling better and that you get in the pink very soon..
Ashlie H.
on 10/10/03 4:32 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Jackie! I wanted to say thanks for the long post. All these details give me an idea of even strange things that might happen to me. One thing I worry about is waiting too long when something is really wrong. I am glad you have Dann taking care of you!
Jackie B.
on 10/10/03 8:59 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Ashlie: Just remember, I was one of the exceptions and not the rule. I am feeling much better now although I am learning it takes time for an infection to clear up. When I went in for my surgery they took very good care of me. My doctor is expert in surgery and the by-pass part of it went without a hitch. The room I stayed in after surgery was like a hotel suite. That part was not an unpleasant experience. Don't worry about waiting too long when something is really wrong. The doctor will give you guidelines on what to watch for. Now I know that a temperature 101 or over should be called in right away. You will be fine. Good luck with your surgery. I had problems with water retention in my legs before surgery and now it is clearing up. This is just one of the many health benefits I am sure I will soon be enjoying! Jackie
Most Active