Can't eat and drink enough .....

Patty P.
on 8/9/03 7:34 am - PHOENIX, AZ
My wife had her surgery (Lap RNY) on July 23rd, and she has been having a very hard time eating and drinking as much as she is supposed to. When she tries to eat, she starts feeling full, and also sick after the first few bites, so she doesn't want to eat anymore. Eating and drinking leave my wife uncomfortable and nauseous, and, because she is not eating enough she feels weak and head-achy. Although she has been feeling nauseous, she has NOT been throwing up. Any suggestions on how to eat/drink what she is supposed to without the ill effects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shell (Patty's husband)
tina0226
on 8/9/03 1:36 pm - Greenwood, IN
I would call her doctor. It could be that some scar tissue has grown over her new pouch and they may need to stretch it a little bit. I have heard this can be done as an out patient. This has happened to many girls at my work. Hope this help. Please make sure she is drinking so she doesn't get dehydrated.
jennifer A.
on 8/9/03 2:59 pm - Glendale, Az
This sounds like it could be a stricture...I'm almost 8 weeks out and have had three. A stricture is a very common complication that is easily fixed.Usually it is caused by scar tissue building up at the surgical connection from the new pouch to the small intestine....A G.I. doc will order an outpatient endoscopy and dilate the narrowing.They sedate you so you don't remember a thing.Feeling weak and head achey is also a sign of dehydration.Fluids right now are the most important thing so if she is having problems with her fluid intake she needs to call her surgeon immediately.
Char G.
on 8/11/03 3:13 pm - Tempe, AZ
I agree with the other posters.... get to the Dr right away. I also had surgery on 7/23 and aside from being tired from time to time I feel pretty darn good. Dehydration is nothing to fool around with.
Patti H.
on 8/12/03 2:18 am - Tucson, AZ
Shell, give Patty our love and tell her to slug down more water! Call the Doctor soon and let him/her know what is going on. Let us know how she is doing!
Most Active