Psychological Evaluation

Patti H.
on 8/5/03 2:35 am - Tucson, AZ
One of my disappointments during my Initial Patient Consultation last Tuesday was learning that my Psychological Evaluation was not considered sufficient for their purposes. I was told that I either had to have an MMPI or I had to see their psychologist, Dr. Lisa Galper. Now, truly, I wasn't excited about forking out yet more money for another psychological evaluation (I have no intention of sitting through a test I don't believe in). But more to the point, after hearing that Dr. Galper had lost 150 pounds on her own (per Dr. Blackstone at the orientation) I wasn't excited about running into some arrogant psychologist who could sit there with an "I did it" attitude. Since I purposely avoid psychologists because of the number of wretched experiences I have had with them, I just felt horrid at the idea. Well, that fear turned out to be entirely unfounded. Aside from getting support from the entire staff on the quality of Dr. Galper's compassion, I got it from her. I told her from the start that I was fearful about the issue. She told me that it was 100 pounds, not 150, and that she was 23 when she did it. She also told me that if she had not been able to lose the weight then, she knows she would have been heavier than I was at my age now, and that she would have had the surgery in a heart beat. What she says she has to offer us, though, is that she truly understands what it is to have to work through learning to exercise with a big body. She knows what head hunger is like and works with it herself on a daily basis and can help because she is teaching something she knows, not something she read in a book. I really enjoyed my time with her and now see her as a great support tool in Dr. Blackstone's team. The more time I spend involved with her group the better I like them. So, now I'm all done. I'm waiting now for Dr. Galper to transmit her feedback to Dr. Blackstone's office, and for Becky to put her feedback into the 2 inch tabbed binder of documentation I put together for CIGNA, and to notify me that the package is on its way. Then we wait for CIGNA.... Hang in with me!
Tamara T.
on 8/5/03 3:20 am - Claypool, AZ
I am holding my breath for you Patti, I am just one step behind you. Good luck hun!
lemarie22
on 8/5/03 6:46 am - Glendale, AZ
I haven't met anyone at Dr. Blackstone's office that I didn't consider top notch. It reminds me that the best leaders are really geniuses at selecting good staff. We're hanging in there together. Connie
Tanya T.
on 8/5/03 7:45 am - mesa, az
I am right there with you. My packet should be sent to Cigna this week and I am on pins and needles some moments and other times I just know that they will denie me. I have already prepared my appeal letter...all 11 pages. Plus I will be submitting letters from family members, pictures of myslef and of my two beautiful daughers. I am prepared for the deniel. I just want to get on with the appeal portion of this circus show. Best of luck to you. Maybe we will both get an apporval. Wouldn't that be a first ;) Tanya
jennifer A.
on 8/5/03 9:55 am - Glendale, Az
Yes.... Dr. Galper is wonderful! She's very informative about the emotional impact and the emotional causes that can contribute to weight gain. She specializes in all types of food addictions like anorexia,bingeing,and obesity.Since she has experienced the process of going from obese to a heathy weight, she has the compassion that someone else in her profession might lack.
Most Active