Moving to AZ, used Dr.Blackstone ?

sarah_durso
on 11/10/12 9:20 am

Hello All ,   

I'm moving to AZ for a year to live near family. Husbands deploying with the Marines . So while he's away I'm going to have WLS and get healthy.  I've been researching this for a few yrs and it's now time. I had planned on getting RNY this fall here in NC , all my classes, and requirements are done .  USMC decided they had other plans and threw us a curve ball . I would have no one here to help out with the kids. So I'm going to AZ, and from the looks of it Dr.Blackstone is an amazing surgeon.  Have any of you used Scottsdale health ? 

wmamey
on 11/16/12 3:41 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
I am glad that things are starting to work out for you and that you are going to have the help you need. Good luck!!

iapples
on 12/7/12 2:39 am - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12

I used Dr Blackstone for RNY.  I am 9 months out.  My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet and then screwed me around for a while.  I started in May 2011 and lost 83 lbs. leading up to the surgery on 2/2812.  I am down an additional 100 lbs. since then.  I was diabetic, hypertensive, had gout and high cholesterol.  Since the day of surgery I am totally off all meds. 

As far as the practice goes it is very structured.  There are three surgeons there now.  There are nutrition, psych, and exercise personnel on staff.  If you are looking for a professional, competent staff that provides all of the tools you need for success I highly recommend.  You will not get a lot of time with your surgeon.  I met Dr. Blackstone in March of 2011, saw her in pre-op in Feb. 2012 and haven't seen her since.  The staff is very capable.  If you're the type that needs a lot of time with your doctor I suggest looking elsewhere.  If you want a quality team at a quality facility that offers pre and post-op support they are the way to go.

I have had no issues at all with the surgery.  Two nights in the hospital, went home not requiring pain medicine, drove the following day, and returned to my desk job a total of 7 days after release.  I follow the rules, I attend the twice-monthly support groups, and I am active on the SHC support website. 

sarah_durso
on 12/7/12 9:54 am, edited 12/8/12 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing with me. I've been seeing a doctor here in NC for the past year getting ready for surgery. I called up the nurse at Blackstones office and she said everything will transfer over.  I've already done the supervised diet. But not sure what her requirements will be. My past doctor wouldn't do surgery on anyone over 400 lbs . I'm at about 415 . So I still need to lose. It's good to know she's a very good surgeon with a  competent staff .  I don't need to see the actual surgeons that much unless I have complications after.  I'm excited to hear her there are group sessions 2x a month.  Do people start going to it before they actually have surgery too? 

Congrats on being so successfully !

iapples
on 12/7/12 10:43 am - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12
There are 2 session nights per month. The first Monday and third Wednesday. At each night there are 3 sessions one of which is preop to 4 months out. They also have several seminars per month to discuss the different surgeries.

Most Active