Dr Schlessinger & Ds

lauriv
on 10/25/11 3:32 pm
 Can anyone tell me why people say to avoid Dr Schlessinger for the DS? can anyone share their experience with me that has had him as a surgeon? 
Thanks!

~ Lauri

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/25/11 5:57 pm - Sedona, AZ
I posted some links for you in the DS forum that gives you info on this.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

ginau
on 10/30/11 12:02 pm - mesa, AZ
Why  are you  trusting others ? Have you gone and talked to him? 

go to his support group , meet some of his pts - make up your own mind , do your own homework .

Yes he is my surgeon, I trust him.  and I will be the first t tell you -- he is not the right surgeon for every  person, but you owe it to yourself to interview him ... ask him the questions you need answers to.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 5:28 am - San Jose, CA
 Based on several years of watching and following what has been going on in AZ with DS surgeons, I cannot overemphasize the multitudes of problems, poor outcomes, complaints, MAJOR complications, improperly done surgeries, infections and DEATHS that have occurred in AZ.  And of these, Schlesinger has been the surgeon or part of the practice many of the times. But this caution extends to Husted, Juarez and Simpson, if he is still doing them at all. Black stone may be more competent, but she doesn't have NEAR the experience I would require in a DS surgeon, and if she pro toed at all, if it was with any of the AZ surgeons, I would be even LESS inclined to be her guinea pig.  Juarez just killed - I mean, a patent of Juarez's just died after he decided to go ahead and attempt a band to DS Revision alone after Husted bailed out on being the lead surgeon in another of his flakey and dangerous and unethical elopements to another state. 

Specific complaints about Schlesinger that I recall having read over the years: he is not an adequately competent lap surgeon; he has "misled" (you know what word I'd rather use) people into thinking he was revising their RNY to a DS but then they woke up with ERNY; he gave one poor woman an ERNY revision with a 20 cm common channel and she was dying of malnutrition when another surgeon revised her and discovered the mess (after Schlesinger wouldn't help her anymore and blamed her for her problems); major problems (with a poorly installed lapband) were ignored and that patient had to seek help elsewhere as well and nearly died. 

Use the Yahoo advanced search function and see for yourself - search all the relevant boards including AZ, DS, revisions and the main boards.  Read TJ Woods' profile. 

Go to CA with Rabkin or Keshishian. Don't risk your life with ANY of the AZ "DS surgeons."
ReCurve
on 1/12/12 9:20 am - Peoria, AZ
He did mine and I lost 300 lbs in a year. I wish he had taken my gallblder and appendix out at the same time, I think he does do that now. Those are my only complaints. 
dmk22498
on 5/5/12 5:15 am - tempe, AZ
Most Active