Got my date--October 18!!

azlawrence
on 9/10/11 2:05 am - AZ
After starting the process last January, I finally have a surgery date--October 18. I am a patient at Banner Bariatric with Dr. Al Chen.  I have had insurance challenges (Aetna Medicare) and I "failed" my nuclear cardiac stress test  only to have an angiogram a week later that showed no problems whatsoever. I am hoping that the worst is behind me!  Now, to start shopping for protein powder and chewable vitamins!
mrsnate
on 9/13/11 3:53 pm
VSG on 04/27/12 with
Congratulations!  I'm going with Banner Gateway too.  I'm excited to hear how your surgery goes. 

BTW, do they always require a cardiac stress test?  I've never done one...

~Rebecca
Mother to 4, married to a wonderful man, trying to find myself again.    
azlawrence
on 9/13/11 10:52 pm - AZ
 Hi, so glad to hear from another Banner lady!  Where are you in the process?  Do you come to the support groups?  If so, we can meet up.

No, I don't think the cardiac test is routine.  I have heard a few people mention it, but I think it is very individual.  Mine was actually recommended by my PCP because I fainted last April which I think was because of a change in BP meds.  The cardiologist was quite surprised that they do not have everyone take it.  My father had open heart surgery and my mother died of a stroke.  Along with my own diabetes and high BP, I am glad I had it done for peace of mind.

Looking forward to travelling this road with you.
mrsnate
on 9/14/11 1:56 am
VSG on 04/27/12 with
I'm excited for my surgery, but still have a few months to go.  Your surgery is actually scheduled on my son's 8th birthday.   I would love to hear about some of the pre-op requirements too.  What kind of pre-surgery plan did they give you?

I understand why your cardiologist would think everyone should have the stress test.  Any "volunteer" surgery should probably require it.  I've gone through this process before (only to lose my insurance right before it was complete).  They had me see a cardiologist and I had an ekg and echo but since it all looked good, cleared me.  Also, I do not have hbp or high cholesterol.  With your family history I think it's smart to be careful. 

I have not been to any meetings yet, but plan to attend soon.  There's a nutrition meeting early Oct. I want to go to. 

Looking forward to getting to know you.
~Rebecca
azlawrence
on 9/14/11 2:37 am - AZ
 I am Aetna/Medicare. Since Medicare does not cover the sleeve, I had to meet the Aetna requirements whi*****luded: Demonstrating weight problems for two years from my PCP, referral to Banner Bariatrics by PCP (he wanted to push his own weight loss stuff, but agreed to sign the referral), going to Banner Bariatrics for monthly appointments with nurse, doctor and nutritionist for three months, psychological clearance (she is great!), going to a minimum of three support group meetings.  Then I had to attend a three hour educational session that covered all the stuff about the surgery, nutritional requirements, pre and post op and maintenance stuff. Banner got the insurance clearance.  I did all the pre-op tests which for me were the blood tests, pulmonary function test, EKG, chest x-ray and upper GI. Then I had to get the clearance for surgery from my PCP.  That is when they set up my surgery date.

The whole process was a bit delayed for me because I was away for most of June and then I had the cardio stuff.  I think all of this stuff varies depending on your particular insurance requirements.  I hear some people have a six month period before the surgery.  Oh, and also, I had to have two co-morbidities, which are diabetes and high BP.

How old are your other children?  Is your family supportive?  I am a single mother with an adopted 18 year old who is a senior in HS.  At first he did not want me to have the surgery because he thought it was risky.  After finding out more, he now seems more comfortable with it.

So glad to meet a Banner friend on obesity help.  You might also like verticalsleevetalk.com
mrsnate
on 9/15/11 9:48 am
VSG on 04/27/12 with

My insurance does require a 6 month medically supervised diet, which I'm working on now...though not very successfully!   My kids are aged 14, 11, (almost) 8 and 2 1/2.  They're all actually supportive because they know other people who've had RNY and have had great success.  They look forward to mom being able to do fun activities with them!  My oldest is a high school freshman so he's obviously the most concerned of the kids about the surgery, but  he is supportive of it.   I'm lucky that my husband is supportive too.  When I'd considered RNY he was more nervous, but feels more comfortable with VSG.  My husband has always weighed less than I do and I hate that.  I'm happy he's a healthy weight, but I hate that it's less than me!  

I sent you a friend request so we can message in private too.  Talk to you soon!

~Rebecca
Most Active