Sleeve Support?

skinnymeforever
on 3/7/11 2:36 am - AZ
Hi - I am having the VSG done tomorrow, March 8 and am looking for others that have recently had or are soon to have this same surgery.  I know I will need support.
My support group will be in Scottsdale and I am a full time student AND working on an externship so driving to Scottsdale is a huge issue. 

So, if you are, let me know where to find you, what support group you attend, etc., etc.

For obvious reasons, I will not be on my computer for the next few days though.
WASaBubbleButt
on 3/7/11 10:16 am - Mexico
On March 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM Pacific Time, skinnymeforever wrote:
Hi - I am having the VSG done tomorrow, March 8 and am looking for others that have recently had or are soon to have this same surgery.  I know I will need support.
My support group will be in Scottsdale and I am a full time student AND working on an externship so driving to Scottsdale is a huge issue. 

So, if you are, let me know where to find you, what support group you attend, etc., etc.

For obvious reasons, I will not be on my computer for the next few days though.

Can't help you out because I moved to AZ a long time ago.  But I can tell you sleeves ROCK!  You'll love it!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
DebbieB1
on 3/9/11 1:28 am - AZ
Hi.  I was just approved for my sleeve.  I am waiting for Dr. Blackstones office to call me to schedule.  I am down in Yuma and will be unable to attend support groups there but hopefully I will find one here in Yuma.  How are you doing.  I would love to hear what you have been though so far.

Debbie
DebbieB1
on 3/9/11 1:35 am - AZ

I just got my approval from the insurance company yesterday.  I am so excited!  How have you been doing since the surgery.  I would love to hear all about it.

Debbie

skinnymeforever
on 3/10/11 5:34 am - AZ
Hi Debbie:

Did they give you a date yet? Once you get that date, time will slow down like a kid at Christmas. LOL.  I've been pretty good since surgery. Of course, it's only been 2 days.  No issues at all really.  I'm having trouble getting my water in because I have to sip it so slowly. Also, do not like the Isopure I got at Hi-Health and I need to get some protein in so that's my current delimma.  A tip: shop around for a protein drink you can stand then you'll have ti taken care of before.

Jerri
DebbieB1
on 3/10/11 6:00 am - AZ
Hi Jerri,

Just got confirmation that my surgery will be May 3rd.  Ugh....seems like such a long time out from now.  The email they sent me has me concerned too....it says Bypass not Gastric
Sleeve.  I have sent them an email back to confirm.  I hope they got the correct surgery approved thru my insurance company and this does not slow things down.  I'm so glad to hear that you are doing OK.  How bad is the pain?  If you find a good tasting protein drink please let me know.  Also, who was your surgeon?

Deb
skinnymeforever
on 3/10/11 9:02 am - AZ
Hi Debbie:

My surgeon was Dr. Blackstone  too. She is so impressive. The dietician and exercise girls are great as is her Nurse Practictioner.  I love, love, love all the support they provide. They really try very hard to make sure you are prepared prior and to support you after it's over.  I will go to my post-op seminar next Tuesday where we will eat our first meal all together. This impresses me. Dr. Blackstone doesn't talk to you "like a surgeon" but more like one of your caring girlfriends.  I've had too many surgerys to name so I have a good frame of reference. She is very personable. And, who wouldn't want a surgeon that contracts a SPA to give you massages, facials and manicures?  The SPA girl showed up to my room right when I needed her and man did that ever help relax me.

Additionally, you absolutely cannot beat Scottsdale Shea. All the nurses were so helpful (especially pre-op) I wasn't crazy about my night nurse, but that's just night nurses, I think.

Okay - pain - first out of surgery (during post-op) the pain was about an 8 out of 10 for a very short while.  You tell them a number and they fix it pretty fast, along with a ****tail of anti-nausea drugs. I never had nausea and still haven't. After that, it's morphine in the IV every two hours.  So, you really don't feel any pain.  At some point, it was the next morning for me, they switch you to Loritab (vicadin).  This was first given to me in a syrupy awful liquid which I could not drink.  I let the pain over take me because of this instead of asking for a pill cut in half.  Once I asked for that, I got the pain under control.  Don't be brave or think you can handle it, just take the meds and if it's something you don't want, ask for something else. They are very accomodating.

I still haven't found a protein drink but I think I'm going to try the cyrstal lite in the Isopure in a little while.  This is definately something you want to start looking for now.  I wished I had.

I am journaling everything I am experiencing so that when I'm asked months down the road, I will have a references. If you'd like, just send me a message,  I will be there for you then to tell you "yes, that happened to me" or no, it didn't" .

So far - no regrets.  I'm not hungry at all but I do miss food right now.  Weird, huh?
furiosmommy
on 3/8/11 4:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, I live in North Phoenix and had my sleeve done on Jan. 4th this year. Good luck with your surgery!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

skinnymeforever
on 3/10/11 5:36 am - AZ
Hi Nikki:

So, how's it going?  How much weight have you lost? What are you able to eat now?
furiosmommy
on 3/11/11 7:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Skinnyme, so far I am down 43lbs. and I am able to eat just about anything I want. Of course there are good and bad choices. I now know that a cheeseburger (no bun) is a HORRIBLE protein choice and I can eat way more than I should because it's fried and slides through. I've always had trouble with fast food, so it's hard that I CAN eat it, but shouldn't eat it. Some of the best protein choices for me are tuna, steak or ground beef. They make me feel full longer. You'll learn as you go. It's like starting all over again.

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

Most Active