Flagstaff Medical Center.. Dr Berger and Dr Aldridge..?

stephaniewhite06
on 11/2/10 3:38 pm - Houston, TX
Ok.. so my husband is thinking about getting the lapband.. and he has BCBS of AZ. We were thinking of going to the above named Dr's.. and I just wanted to know if anyone has any kind of opinion on them or thier office staff.

I went to Dr Juarez in Phoenix and he was awesome, but I don't really drive in Phoenix and I will be the one driving him home so he told me to check out Flagstaff.. and these are the doctors I found.. so please let me know any good, bad, ugly, or any experiences with them.
Stephanie White

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/3/10 12:59 am - Mexico
Yes, they are great doctors but I can already tell you that Berger will try to talk your husband out of banding and rightfully so. It's not a good surgery type and Berger has the ethics not to want to do a band and then revision surgery.

If he doesn't want bypass has he considered a sleeve? It is the safest surgery long term, far superior to banding in every possible way and ... no maintenance!

Banding provides the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, the highest regain, and the highest mechanical problems requiring another surgery. Sleeves are simply more effective and safer long term.

BTW, if ins does not cover sleeves you can appeal the decision.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
stephaniewhite06
on 11/3/10 6:31 am - Houston, TX
His reasoning for not wanting the bypass is he still wants to be able to drink alcohol.. I have told him about all the rexisions on the band.. but he insists..
Stephanie White

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/20/10 2:34 am - Mexico
On November 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM Pacific Time, stephaniewhite06 wrote:
His reasoning for not wanting the bypass is he still wants to be able to drink alcohol.. I have told him about all the rexisions on the band.. but he insists..

Being a WLS patient yourself, do you really think he is ready for WLS?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
sweaver
on 11/8/10 11:30 pm
Hi Stephanie,   I am currently going to Flagstaff and I love the staff and Doctors there... I am having my surgery getting the sleeve on 12/13 with Dr Aldrige..... Everyone I have talked to there that has had the surgery is really really happy with them.... They have been great and I would recommend them.....  Best of Luck....   Stacey
kat87120
on 11/9/10 3:08 am - Albuquerque, NM
Hi Stephanie,
I had the sleeve surgery by Dr. Burger in May, 2008 and have done exceptionally well with it, I couldn't be happier.  I had originally thought about the band (I was not a candidate for RNY because of colo-rectal cancer... my oncologist did NOT want anything touched with my remaining intestine).  I am very active in my health issues, and researched numerous doctors and facilities concerning my WLS.  All of my oncologist (in New Mexico) agreed that Dr. Burger was far and above the best choice as was the sleeve the best surgery for me.  I received excellent follow up (I opt to do my follow ups now with my oncologist to avoid duplicate blood work).  The staff for Dr. Burger and Dr. Aldridge were excellent.  Nancy, Dr. B's nurse, was an absolute God send when it came to insurance issues.  I had BCBS of New Mexico and Nancy jumped right in on getting me approved. 
As for the hospital, I was very pleased with the facility and nursing staff while I was in the hospital for the two days post surgery.  At that time I was told that both Dr. B and Dr. A like to put their patients on a particular floor because that floor had the most attentive nurses. 
Concerning the drive, the Flagstaff hospital is very easy to get in and out of and the town itself is a piece of cake, nothing like the traffic in Phoenix or here in Albuquerque. 
Good luck and please keep us posted!

Katherine
Albuquerque

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

Most Active