HI all

Superspouse
on 10/27/10 7:41 am - AZ
 It's been awhile since I posted on here. I changed my account so my old nice was Karibearr. I finally attended a seminar on Sunday and have decided to go with RNY over Lapband. I just got the call and scheduled my consultation for Nov 11th. I will be done with my 6month supervised diet on the 18th so things are finally moving...I am excited to say the least. I am hoping for a mid december surgery date-right after finals.

Is there any one else on here that has had Dr. Blackstone for their RNY surgeon?

4bugz
on 10/27/10 10:01 am

congratulations on your progress!!  It probably feels great to have everything moving along. 

I have read very good things about Dr. Blackstone, but we only went to the one seminar at Bridges - and were very impressed with how organized the program is (not that  Dr. Blackstone's isn't!).  We really felt like we had found the right program on the first try and did not bother to go to any other seminars. 

All of the advice out there will tell you to go to at least 2-3 different surgeon's information seminars and review the patient packets/surgeon requirements for each program you are considering.  I agree with that advice, and if we lived closer we would have done so ;-)

beckipoohbear
on 10/28/10 3:17 am - AZ
Good luck!  I had my surgery at Scottsdale Bariatric Center, although one of Dr. Blackstone's former associates did my actual surgery.  The office is great, has a fantastic and thorough program and I have been nothing but pleased with both my results and my care there.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

cwallsaz
on 10/28/10 12:50 pm - AZ
Hi!

I am having mine 11-17-10 with Dr. Blackstone.  I am having the RNY - Im a bit  concern about something I had never heard of.. you got any info on this surgery and people having Seizures?  Maybe not at first maybe a year later... what do you know if you do about it..

I have about 100 pounds to lose and I am a Diabetic.  I didnt read that anyone was diabetic that said they were usffering form this.. I looked it up on msn.  Lots of people say it gets sweep under the rug.  I just did my Per Op Education class at Shea and was feeling pretty good.  but Im 46 wihta my only child he almost 3 and I feel really scared about this.. I heard and researched Dr. Blackstone is one of thee very best so I know Im in good hands.. how was your pain?.

okay - When did you have your?
Did you have diabetes?
How much have you lost and how long...
How have you adjusted to eating the new ways and everything so much huh!!
UGH!

thanks so much!! Im scared and I know I have to do this but man... crazee!
my home email is [email protected] as well.  hard to work this site I like email or FB!!
JRinAZ
on 10/29/10 2:23 am - Layton, UT
On October 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM Pacific Time, cwallsaz wrote:
Hi!

I am having mine 11-17-10 with Dr. Blackstone.  I am having the RNY - Im a bit  concern about something I had never heard of.. you got any info on this surgery and people having Seizures?  Maybe not at first maybe a year later... what do you know if you do about it..

I have about 100 pounds to lose and I am a Diabetic.  I didnt read that anyone was diabetic that said they were usffering form this.. I looked it up on msn.  Lots of people say it gets sweep under the rug.  I just did my Per Op Education class at Shea and was feeling pretty good.  but Im 46 wihta my only child he almost 3 and I feel really scared about this.. I heard and researched Dr. Blackstone is one of thee very best so I know Im in good hands.. how was your pain?.

okay - When did you have your?
Did you have diabetes?
How much have you lost and how long...
How have you adjusted to eating the new ways and everything so much huh!!
UGH!

thanks so much!! Im scared and I know I have to do this but man... crazee!
my home email is [email protected] as well.  hard to work this site I like email or FB!!
Hi friend!
Congrats on your upcoming surgery!  Seizures are a rare side effect of a possible complication (NIPHS) for Rny's.  Most common is the reactive hypoglycemia that is developed by many. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bariatric-surgery/complications.ht ml

I have been in the Weight Loss Surgery community for almost 11 years and have seen a variety of complications.  Iron deficiency, ulcers, stoma issues, lactose intollerance, hypoglycemia and weight regain are the most common Rny problems I have consistently seen.  But, please note that the majority sail through with very few issues, if any!

Though the Rny is NOT the surgery I would recommend for people, the weight loss can definitely be a huge boost to better health and even with the regain, most people are generally better off  with an Rny than without it.  (Doesn't Dr. Blackstone do the Sleeve?  (VSG)  .... Maybe ask her about that procedure?)

Good luck!  Continue doing your research and be prepared to be consistent with your protein supplements, your vitamins and your water intake.  If you're a responsible post-op then you should rock your surgery!!!  Dr. Blackstone is a great surgeon!

Huggggzzzz, 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

cwallsaz
on 10/30/10 1:44 pm - AZ
Your the best Joyce - Thanks - God sent you to this site thats for sure!!

What dont you like the RNY?
You know they never mentioned the sleeve?
I meet Dr. Blackstone 11-3-10 I will ask her about the sleeve?

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS A MILLION!!
You know, Im not worried about the surgery at all  - its after that.. I worry I will have more issue then I had before the surgery or new ones!

UGH! 
When are you you at Estrella Banner for a meeting.. or times thats the closed for me living in Buckeye!!
beckipoohbear
on 10/29/10 3:42 am - AZ
There have been some rare instances of seizures after RNY, the example I can think of is Melting Mama on the main board, however I don't think that is a common problem.

I did not have diabetes before the surgery but I was on my way there so that was one of my reasons for having the surgery.  I had my surgery 2 1/2 years ago, I lost 130 llbs and I've regained about 5 from my lowest weight.  I really didn't have an adjustment to the eating program, I just followed what they said to do.  Now I eat like a normal person, with normal size meals and I am satisfied and happy.  I probably eat a few too many carbs since I don't dump but when I reign that in a bit, I still see results on the scale.

All of that said, I am so glad that I had my RNY, it has been completely life changing and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Best of luck to you, and Dr. Blackstone is one of the best, you are in good hands.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

cwallsaz
on 10/30/10 1:48 pm - AZ
THANKS Rebacca!!
I so appreciate the info and respond!!
You have done so remarkable wow and I hope mine goes as well as you 2 years later!! wow thats encouraging.  Because I was up all last night thinking maybe I shouldnt do this permanent surgery to my body!! Awful.. I was good after Pre Op Education class on Wed - but man I have had some poeple saying STOP and some awful news about the seizures!

But - reading your outsome - helps.. I have a list of questions for Doc so will see what happens after 11-3-10~

thanks Friend!!
cwallsaz
on 10/28/10 12:52 pm - AZ
Hi!

I have her and my date is 11-17-10..... we can support each other if you like.... when is your date?

I wish you the best of luck....
so much in my head with this... being 46 havinga 2 year old well almost 3.. Im just worried.
I have diabetes do you?

my email is [email protected] and I have fb too!

Thanks!!
hope to hear back!
Superspouse
on 10/28/10 5:01 pm - AZ
Hi

I wish I was having surgery on the 17th. I do have diabetes but have never been on medication. I'm very lucky on that regard.

I have never heard about the seizures-maybe I will have to ask about that. So far I have really liked dr blackstones office.
Most Active