First seminar last night @ Bridges

4bugz
on 6/30/10 1:32 am
We went to the initial seminar last night for Dr. Jaurez and Dr. Fang.  My husband was very much at ease afterwards, and impressed with the program they have put together.  We were thrilled to find out that our insurance will not require a 6 month medically supervised diet ... as we thought that would be step one.  YAY!  This means that as soon as we have all of the paperwork together we can submit for approval.  We are hopeful that if all goes well we can get him scheduled for late September or October. 

Finding 5 years of medical records will be the hardest part of the pre-surgery process.  Everything else seemed pretty simple. 

I do wish that Dr. Fang had been there as well, so that we could meet both surgeons and decide which way to go.  How do you choose?  Dr. Jaurez was quiet and confident but not what I expected somehow (what did I expect?  I don't know!).  However we would be fully confident with him doing the surgery. 

It seems like a good idea to also look at Banner Gateway's program, but DH is impressed with "Center of Excellence" ... so I think this is it!  Wa hoooo!  I can't wait for him to have this surgery and start feeling better!
JRinAZ
on 6/30/10 2:00 am - Layton, UT
On June 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, 4bugz wrote:
We went to the initial seminar last night for Dr. Jaurez and Dr. Fang.  My husband was very much at ease afterwards, and impressed with the program they have put together.  We were thrilled to find out that our insurance will not require a 6 month medically supervised diet ... as we thought that would be step one.  YAY!  This means that as soon as we have all of the paperwork together we can submit for approval.  We are hopeful that if all goes well we can get him scheduled for late September or October. 

Finding 5 years of medical records will be the hardest part of the pre-surgery process.  Everything else seemed pretty simple. 

I do wish that Dr. Fang had been there as well, so that we could meet both surgeons and decide which way to go.  How do you choose?  Dr. Jaurez was quiet and confident but not what I expected somehow (what did I expect?  I don't know!).  However we would be fully confident with him doing the surgery. 

It seems like a good idea to also look at Banner Gateway's program, but DH is impressed with "Center of Excellence" ... so I think this is it!  Wa hoooo!  I can't wait for him to have this surgery and start feeling better!
Go with your instinct and go to AT LEAST one more seminar.  Banner Gateway is just a second away from getting their Center of Excellence.  It's a newer hospital so they needed some time to fill in all the squares.

I love both Phx St Lukes and Banner Gateway and actually attend both of their support groups.

And....Dr. Blackstone at Scottsdale Bariatric is also a Center of Excellence.  GREAT comprehensive program.

But...in your research, I would totally recommend checking out www.dsfacts.com  I've had 2 revisions and finally landed the GOLDEN surgery:  the Duodenal Switch.  It has the best stats for long term weight loss results.

It's your body.  It's your life; so researching before they cut will stack the odds in your favor for success! 

Good luck with your journey!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Michelle L.
on 7/1/10 5:21 am - Phoenix, AZ
Just out of curiosity, who is your insurance carrier? I have Aetna, and I'm stuck with the 6 month diet. Dr. Fang will be my surgeon, and he's great. I had my first appointment with him last week. Because of the diet requirement, I'll probably be waiting until around February for my surgery.
4bugz
on 7/1/10 3:08 pm
On July 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM Pacific Time, colivetti wrote:
Just out of curiosity, who is your insurance carrier? I have Aetna, and I'm stuck with the 6 month diet. Dr. Fang will be my surgeon, and he's great. I had my first appointment with him last week. Because of the diet requirement, I'll probably be waiting until around February for my surgery.
We have BCBS ... so as soon as all the paperwork is gathered and consultations completed, we can put in for surgery approval. 

We have not met Dr. Fang yet.  What made you choose him vs. Dr. Jaurez?  Please send a message if you prefer to respond privately.  Really very curious!  Thank you ;-)

As for the Banner Gateway option, DH really wants to stick with St. Lukes.  I am sure that Banner is a great program, but we are coming from Northern AZ, 3.5 hours each way ... and just finding a seminar date that fit into our schedule was difficult.  Also, our support system (family) will be relocating to Anthem shortly, so St. Lukes will be closer to family.  My husband will be staying in Anthem for his recovery period in order to be closer to the hospital in the event of complications.  Have also read some recent dismal postings about office staff responsiveness (lack of) for Banner.  St. Lukes instilled a lot of confidence in their surgery approval process and just everything in general. 

Banner does have a fantastic blood conservation surgery program, but Dr. Jaurez stated that he is well familiar with the techniques, and described his plan for dealing with excessive blood loss. 

So we have begun requesting the five years of medical records that BCBS asks for.  Hopefully they don't need anything more than the nurse's notes at check-in that show weight/height.  DH then has his first consult with Dr. Jaurez towards the end of July, and in August he will attend the nutrition class and complete the Psych eval and Nutritionist consultation.  So the goal is to submit to insurance by mid August for an October surgery.  Crossing all of the fingers & toes, and getting ready to learn a lot!

Darlene X
on 7/2/10 7:05 am - Maricopa, AZ
I love Dr Fang. I found him more personable than Dr Juarez. Dr Fang tries to act all serious... but I know better hehehe
snoozing61
on 7/7/10 1:47 pm - Apache Junction, AZ

Dr. Juarez is my surgeon.  I met with him for the first consultation; had all my paperwork, and submitted for approval.  I was approved within a matter of days, and started my pre-op diet.  Two days before my surgery I ended up in the hospital, not St. Lukes but one close to home.  I was then transferred to Phx St. Luke's and met with Dr. Juarez and his PA, and Dr. Fang.  I had to have part of my colon removed and postpone my Lap Band surgery.  ALL three of the doctors were great!!! and the hospital staff were terrific too!!!  I've been thru 7 other surgeries in my 49 years, and there was always at least one "poopy" nurse, NOT at Phx St. Luke's 6th floor.  ALL were SUPER.  Now I'm just waiting to heal a little more so I can get "banded".  Best of luck to you.

caross2
on 8/7/10 10:10 am - tucson, AZ
I was referred to Dr. Juarez from surgeon friends of mine who say he is the best and most experienced in Arizona. I am a nurse and I would not rate a surgeon by bedside manner but instead by expertise.
Most Active